Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Micro IPAs  (Read 10580 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: Micro IPAs
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2017, 05:40:41 pm »
I wish. I don't drink when working underneath a car...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2017, 06:20:17 pm »
That is a very smart move. Drink after everything is on the ground.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2017, 07:18:52 pm »
That is a very smart move. Drink after everything is on the ground.

Yeah...unlike some, I'll usually have a beer when brewing, but if I'm working with jacks/power tools/etc., I'll always refrain.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2017, 08:08:20 am »
Yuengling is fantastic.

I live within 15 minutes of the brewery and I have to say that I have never had a beer of theirs that I liked, other than their IPL.  It's tough to change the local mentality that there is better beer out there than Yuengling lager, but I'm working on it. :) 
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

jrdatta

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2017, 08:33:50 am »

Yuengling is fantastic.

I happen to be local to the US's second oldest brewery (next to Yuengling) Schells. I really love Schells, not only because they have to be schooled in Germany, and have been doing German beer here for a long time, or that they just did a recent upgrade to brewing equipment and now have the signature low oxygen flavor, BUT, they bought the brand Grainbelt premium  https://www.grainbelt.com/ourbeers_info.php?id=10)! This is a regional swill made with 40% corn syrup, and its sweet and glorious! It ranks as my number 1 macro swill. But for me to pick a pick a 2nd or 3rd, it would be like choosing my favorite child. I LOVE macroswill, and LOVE malt liquor. Mickey grenades are a staple in my fridge.... speaking of I wonder what I have in there.. Let me go check :)

Schell's Deer Brand is a far superior "cheapo" than Grain Belt.  Related note Grain Belt tears my system up.  The worst hangovers I have are from nights when Premium is involved.  But Grain Belt pays the bills for Schell's to do all of the really cool stuff they do now like the new Star Keller Brewery so, I guess power to the Grain Belt.  Same thing with New Glarus, I would pretty much choose any other beer than Spotted Cow, but it pays the bills so they can to their awesome fruited and soured beers, and their brewery is amazing.  Not sure where this was going so I will end it there.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2017, 03:33:19 pm »
I live within 15 minutes of the brewery and I have to say that I have never had a beer of theirs that I liked, other than their IPL.  It's tough to change the local mentality that there is better beer out there than Yuengling lager, but I'm working on it. :) 

Just speaking for me, I'm not under any illusion that Yuengling is a world class beer necessarily. I just like a good, affordable/cheap beer to keep around that's (at least in my mind) superior to BMC. In the days of $16 6-packs of Sculpin (not remotely worth that that price point IMO) among others, it fits the bill for me.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2017, 08:50:18 am »

Just speaking for me, I'm not under any illusion that Yuengling is a world class beer necessarily. I just like a good, affordable/cheap beer to keep around that's (at least in my mind) superior to BMC. In the days of $16 6-packs of Sculpin (not remotely worth that that price point IMO) among others, it fits the bill for me.
Exactly what I'm thinking. Outside of my own, if I'm in the mood for an adjunct lager, then Yuengling is generally the best choice that is readily available to me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer