Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: first closed transfer  (Read 3133 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
first closed transfer
« on: April 19, 2017, 08:55:42 pm »
Going from spigot on speidel directly to liquid post of keg. How long should this take for 5 gallons? I seem to be at a rate of 1 gallon per 5 minutes which is probably at least 10 times longer than my normal method.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Iliff Ave

Re: first closed transfer
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 09:29:59 pm »
Finished up and I suppose it just takes what it takes. Anyone care to share their process although it is pretty self explanatory?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 09:56:06 pm »
I transfer under pressure and it takes ages as well. I'd say 15-20 minutes.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 06:42:43 am »
I perform closed transfers from my conical to keg through the liquid out post and it does take quite a while. The headloss and flow restriction at the poppet are almost certainly the cause.  Long-lasting and fresh beer is still worth it.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 07:11:12 am »
I suppose I misspoke calling it a 'closed transfer'. The top of the fermenter is open while transferring. I don't know how I would do it otherwise...

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 09:23:31 am »
I suppose I misspoke calling it a 'closed transfer'. The top of the fermenter is open while transferring. I don't know how I would do it otherwise...

can you use CO2 where the airlock would be?  not sure if spiedels can hold pressure though.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 09:40:17 am »

can you use CO2 where the airlock would be?  not sure if spiedels can hold pressure though.

Yeah I suppose I could run tubing from a CO2 tank into the rubber bung. How much pressure are we talking about?

Doing this would become much more challenging for me. I have been meaning to get a smaller 5 lb tank for carbing kegs that are not in the serving fridge yet. Using the 20lb tank in the garage is less realistic because it would mean moving my whole operation.

Offline blatz

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 09:43:13 am »

Yeah I suppose I could run tubing from a CO2 tank into the rubber bung. How much pressure are we talking about?

Doing this would become much more challenging for me. I have been meaning to get a smaller 5 lb tank for carbing kegs that are not in the serving fridge yet. Using the 20lb tank in the garage is less realistic because it would mean moving my whole operation.

sure, so what I setup is a 90degree nylon elbow in the bung, attached to 5/16" beer line, with a flared fitting on the end - this serves as my blowoff tube also (although I never have blowoff due to the amount of headspace I have).  the flared fitting end sits in a jar of sanitizer and when I'm ready to rack, attach the CO2 line to the fitting, and it seems that 2Psi is all it can handle before popping off. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 11:08:34 am »
Timely post!  You guys swear this is really helping stability?  I also assume you are pushing an entire keg of sanitizer as well?   
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline blatz

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 11:09:56 am »
Timely post!  You guys swear this is really helping stability?  I also assume you are pushing an entire keg of sanitizer as well?   

Yes pushing sanitizer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Andor

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 11:47:27 am »

For my closed transfer set up I was thinking of getting a mini regulator. Maybe that'd work for you if you fermenter can hold pressure.  I've been wanting one anyway for travel/oh crap I'm out of co2. My thought was to solder a barbed ss carb cap to the lid. Maybe you could do the same with a drilled stopper and the barbed carb cap

Offline duelerx

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 08:20:19 pm »

I built my own gas in with a ball lock post for my Spiedel and it takes me to transfer from 10 to 15 minutes. You could order a Spiedel Gas In adapter from NorCal: http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Speidel-Ball-Lock-Gas-In-with-Pressure-Relief-Valve.html

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 04:56:38 am »
I do closed transfer under pressure.  About 2 PSI.  It takes about 5 minutes.  Just remember to release the PRV on the keg. 

Can you pressure transfer from your fermenter?
Brew what you like & brew often.

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 05:05:52 am »
With your situation my recommendation would be to conduct a full keg purge; meaning fill your keg with starsan and push it out with CO2.  Relieve enough pressure to get the lid off and run your sanitized transfer line into the keg.  If you look in the keg you'll see a bed of CO2 in there.  Cover the keg opening with sanitized aluminium foil.  Remove the airlock and gently open the valve at the bottom of the fermenter to lease the beer with minimal splashing.  This will get you a good transfer with a bed of CO2 minimizing O2 exposure. 
Brew what you like & brew often.