Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Trying to bottle after cold crash  (Read 2081 times)

Offline turfgrass

• Cellarman
Trying to bottle after cold crash
« on: May 05, 2017, 06:09:55 pm »
today I was going to bottle my beer after nearly a week of cold crashing.   I removed the carboy from the fridge and placed it on the counter for sediment to settle before bottling.  After maybe thirty minutes the carboy would bubble and disrupt the trub.  I put it back into the refrigerator to settle down.  Perhaps I should bottle immediately from the fridge to avoid sediment and co2 disturbance.  What do you think?   Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 06:16:49 pm by turfgrass »

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Trying to bottle after cold crash
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 12:53:34 am »
How long did you let it ferment before cold crashing?  I'm thinking the yeast wasn't finished and the warming of a few degrees spurred it back into being active.
I always leave beers in primary for 21 days and don't cold crash. I take them out of my fermentation fridge and set them on the counter overnight to allow settling before kegging. Never had a problem.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline turfgrass

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 01:23:06 am »
It sat for two weeks.  There wasn't any activity and there was one or two bubbles in the airlock per minute.   I may have rushed it because I dry hopped and it was going to be in there for two weeks.  What do you recommend?

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 02:38:35 pm »
You said your brew sat for two weeks; if one of those two weeks was for cold crashing, it's very possible your yeast hasn't finished fermentation.  When you chill it down, the yeast stop doing their thing and fermentation stalls.

It's best to take gravity reading two days apart until you get identical readings.  Then fermentation should be complete.  I like to let my beer ferment for two weeks before taking the first FG reading and then take another two days later.  If fermentation is finished, then I cold crash the brew and bottle it.

Personally, I'm not opposed to a bit of traub in the bottom of the bottle.  If the brew has been stored in a fridge, then most of the traub stays in the bottom of the bottle anyway.

Good luck.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!