Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Critique my first pale ale  (Read 2522 times)

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
Critique my first pale ale
« on: May 07, 2017, 12:08:54 pm »
I've never done a pale ale. And never done anything this low SRM. Nor have I dry hopped. So this will be interesting.

Anyone have feedback on this recipe? And any tips for dry hopping in a bucket?

Brewer's FriendBrewer's Friend  Heading   Stats   Hops Print
Pale Ale
Method: BIAB
Style: American Pale Ale   
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)   
Boil Size: 6.7 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.047 (recipe based estimate)
Efficiency: 74% (brew house)   

Original Gravity: 1.057 Final Gravity: 1.013 ABV (standard): 5.75% IBU (tinseth): 32.77 SRM (morey): 9.27
Fermentables
Amount   Fermentable   PPG   °L   Bill %
10.5 lb   American - Pale 2-Row   37   1.8   91.3%
1 lb   American - Caramel / Crystal 60L   34   60   8.7%
11.5 lb   Total           
Hops
Amount   Variety   Type   AA   Use   Time   IBU
0.33 oz   Magnum   Pellet   15   Boil   60 min   17.62
0.2 oz   Simcoe   Pellet   12.7   Boil   30 min   6.95
0.5 oz   Simcoe   Pellet   12.7   Boil   10 min   8.2
2 oz   Centennial   Pellet   10   Aroma   0 min   
1 oz   Centennial   Pellet   10   Dry Hop   4 days   
1 oz   Amarillo   Pellet   8.6   Dry Hop   4 days   
Hops Summary
Amount   Variety   Type   AA
1 oz   Amarillo   Pellet   8.6
3 oz   Centennial   Pellet   10
0.33 oz   Magnum   Pellet   15
0.7 oz   Simcoe   Pellet   12.7
Mash Guidelines
Amount   Description   Type   Temp   Time
6 gal      Infusion   153 F   60 min
2.1 gal      Sparge   175 F   0 min
Yeast
White Labs - California Ale Yeast WLP001
Attenuation (avg):
76.5%   
Flocculation:
Medium
Optimum Temp:
68 - 73 °F   
Starter:
Yes
Fermentation Temp:
70   °F   
Pitch Rate:
1.0   (M cells / ml / ° P)
292 B cells required
This recipe is not shared.
Last Updated: 2017-05-07 10:56 P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Critique my first pale ale
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 12:14:18 pm »
I prefer to ferment a ;little cooler but it looks solid.  Now wait for people to tear it apart!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 12:27:47 pm »
That looks like a solid, classic APA recipe all the way around. Simcoe-Amarillo-Centennial is a proven combo that works every time. I could quibble about things I'd do differently if I were brewing it myself (I've moved away from 30-minute additions, and I'd ferment in the mid-60's), but that's just personal taste.

As for dry hopping in a bucket, just drop them in. There's no trick to it, really.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 07:23:44 am »
That looks like a solid, classic APA recipe all the way around. Simcoe-Amarillo-Centennial is a proven combo that works every time. I could quibble about things I'd do differently if I were brewing it myself (I've moved away from 30-minute additions, and I'd ferment in the mid-60's), but that's just personal taste.

As for dry hopping in a bucket, just drop them in. There's no trick to it, really.

Guess I got lucky! The homebrew shop was out of cascade so I had to quickly guess which ones I wanted to use (the wife was hungry, and when she's hungry she gets angry). Thanks for the feedback!

I prefer to ferment a ;little cooler but it looks solid.  Now wait for people to tear it apart!  ;)

Im gonna do my best to keep it cooler with my swamp cooler setup but well see how that actually goes :P

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 07:31:29 am »

Guess I got lucky! The homebrew shop was out of cascade so I had to quickly guess which ones I wanted to use (the wife was hungry, and when she's hungry she gets angry). Thanks for the feedback!

Im gonna do my best to keep it cooler with my swamp cooler setup but well see how that actually goes :P

As for the swamp cooler, I did that for 2 or 3 years and it worked well. I didn't use the t-shirt/ fan thing, so I guess it wasn't a true swamp cooler. I put the fermenter in a tub of water and swapped frozen water bottles a couple times /day. I checked water temp with a thermometer and added bottles as needed .
Jon H.

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 07:43:44 am »

[/quo

As for the swamp cooler, I did that for 2 or 3 years and it worked well. I didn't use the t-shirt/ fan thing, so I guess it wasn't a true swamp cooler. I put the fermenter in a tub of water and swapped frozen water bottles a couple times /day. I checked water temp with a thermometer and added bottles as needed .

That's what I have been doing, but ive been doing it with the tee shirt and fan.

is it safe to assume the water temp is the same temp as the fermenting beer if im not using the tee?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 07:58:26 am »
Not exactly the same temp ,but within a couple dF. Checked many times. I used enough water in the tub to almost make the bucket float.
Jon H.

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 08:04:35 am »
Not exactly the same temp ,but within a couple dF. Checked many times. I used enough water in the tub to almost make the bucket float.

Ok great!

Im planning on eventually getting a thermowell and a chest freezer with an inkbird controller but gotta get some more brewing room first :)

jrdatta

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 09:28:14 am »

^this was the best way that I found for doing the swamp cooler as well. works really well if you live in an area that has high humidity.  Wet t-shirts just get moldy in my summers and don't really cool anything down.

jrdatta

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 09:52:39 am »
Also recipe looks solid.

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 09:17:58 am »
Im super excited. This turned out to be one of my best beers yet! Thanks for everyone's help!

jrdatta

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 09:27:14 am »
Im super excited. This turned out to be one of my best beers yet! Thanks for everyone's help!

Awesome! Good to hear!  Tasting notes?