Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: cherry cola brown ale & flanders  (Read 2271 times)

Offline Grod 31

• 1st Kit
cherry cola brown ale & flanders
« on: May 19, 2017, 06:12:28 pm »
hey guys i have been toying with tis idea for a while. This weekend i am going to get it done. Let me know what you think, any thoughts  comments or criticism welcome.
Batch Size: 7 gallons (two 3.25 gallon batches)
Boil Size: 10 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.041

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.059
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 6.41%
IBU (tinseth): 21.99
SRM (morey): 11.09

FERMENTABLES:
9 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (58.1%)
4 lb - American - Munich - Light 10L (25.8%)
8 oz - American - Aromatic Malt (3.2%)
7 oz - American - CaraCrystal Wheat Malt (2.8%)
7 oz - Dry Malt Extract - Wheat (2.8%)
6 oz - United Kingdom - Crystal Rye (2.4%)
4 oz - German - CaraRed (1.6%)
8 oz - Cane Sugar (3.2%)- sugar added to recipe to represent the amount of sugar in cherry juice added.
HOPS:
1.5 oz - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 21.99

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 153 F

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
6.5 ml(enough to make 2 liters of cola) - home-brew cola extract, Type: Spice, Use: Primary
2 qt - tart cherry juice(trader joes), Type: Flavor, Use: Primary
1 oz - kola nut, Type: Flavor, Use: PrimaryBoil
0.5 tsp - tanin, Type: Other, Use: Boil
2 tsp - acids blend, Type: Other, Use: Boil

NOTES:
this batch will be split inb two brews one will get stay clean with US-04
the other will get US-05 after 4-5 days i will add Additional Yeast: imperial yeast- sour batch kids
1 quart  tart cherry juice  per 3.25 gallons  added directly to carboy from new unopened  bottles.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 05:07:01 pm by Grod 31 »

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
Re: cherry cola brown ale & flanders
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 10:00:41 pm »
Sounds like a fun beer.  Overall I think it looks great.  Here's some constructive criticism:

I don't think you are going to need the tannin.  The cherry juice will add some tannins (residual from the skins during extraction), as well as a boost in acidity when it ferments down and both will increase the perception of dryness in this beer.  I also would presume that the kola nut will add a bit of tannin, too.

I don't understand why you are adding additional yeast for.  Both US 04 and 05 are plenty capable of fermenting this down with no problems whatsoever, including when you add the juice to the primary.  I think you can simplify it and just add the juice when it gets just past high krausen.  The yeast will love it.

[edit-delete dumb dumb paragraph where I should have read the full title.]

The wheat dme is a nice thought but remember that DME is normally 50/50 wheat and pilsner DME.  You will get very little flavor out of such a small amount.  You'd be better off to just add another lb of light Munich or 2 row.

Again, the above is all meant to help you simplify the recipe by getting rid of things that aren't going to make much of a difference.

HTH-

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 10:22:44 pm by santoch »
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Grod 31

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 02:48:26 pm »
hey man thank you for taking the time to respond.Im glad you think the flavors could work.
I can surely omit the tanin. In the past i used it when making cherry wine along with the acid blend.
I have a 50# sack of bavarian wheat dme so i would rather add a lil more then take it out. I dont want to add a lot because it s seems to have a one dimensional flavor that my girlfriend doesn't like.
thanks again, cheers.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 05:45:26 am »
I agree with santoch.  I would skip the tannin for sure as well as the acid blend.  The cherry juice and addition of sour patch yeast will make the beer tart enough by itself.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Grod 31

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 05:06:08 pm »
alright i will take that out .Im sure i wont need the acid blend but i kind of like the flavor it has a fruity sourness from the citric acid that you dont get from lacto.
I just tasted the kola nut.It has no flavor so instead of primary im thinking add it at 5 mins, maybe that will bring out more flavor/tanin that im looking for.

Offline Grod 31

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 09:04:28 am »
So i brewed yesterday. I omitted the acid blend and tanin.I didnt have east kent so i used styrian goldings and my mash temp  was probably closer to 156 not 153 but besides that everything seemed great.The color, taste and gravity of my wort are spot on to what i wanted.I ened up brewing with a friend so i wont have a 3 gallon batch to keep clean with US04.Maybe i will brew it again and do that in the near future.Anyway the Us05 is already bubbling away and in a few days when fermentation seems to slow a bit i will add the cherry juice and sour batch kids yeast.
cheers.

Offline Grod 31

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 05:02:26 pm »
It has been a week since i brewed it.Still bubbling a lil bit but the major fermentation was over. Today i added the quart of tart cherry juice and 6.5 mills(2 litter equivalent) of cola extract.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 08:12:10 pm »
Sounds good.  It'll get going again with these additional sugars.
Give it lots of time to finish.  Keep it cool, too.
Let us know how it turns out.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge