Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Figured out my problem.  (Read 1522 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Figured out my problem.
« on: May 08, 2017, 10:08:17 am »
  My two brews on my new electric system gave me a pretty big issue with hitting my strike temperature. I've been missing my mash temp by a good 10*. But, being the pantless brewer that I am, I just went with it. Used to be when I brewed with propane I would heat my strike water 6* over my target temp, take a gallon container and dip it in my kettle and pour it into my mash tun. The way my electric system is set up I cannot get a pitcher in it so I have to open the valve and run water into the pitcher. Typically, I strike around 3.5 to 4 gallons. When I get down to 3 gallons the element shuts of, and a 2 gallons I have to tip the kettle to get the rest of thew water out. Between all that mess it turns out I am about 12* lower than my strike temp. So, say my strike temp is 162*, I would add 6* for thermal mass and strike 168*. Worked like a dream on propane every time. So, I transfer that over to my electric system. I hit 168* and by the time it all makes its way to the mash tun, I'm actually at 154*, then add the grain and I'm way down there.
    So, the lesson I learned is that is I need 3.5 gallon of 168* I need to heat 7 gallons to 172*. This will give me my temp, and the element will stay on. Also, then I replace the volume I used to strike, and by the time the sach rest is done, my 7 gallons is up to 180* to sparge.
   Needless to say, I just ordered a pump.  ::)
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Figured out my problem.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 10:47:01 am »
Good on ya!  But you also illustrate why I've used the same equipment for almost 20 years!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 02:46:12 pm by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 02:26:07 pm »
Tip of the day:  Hold the Alt key down and type 248 to get the ° sign.   :D

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 02:52:53 pm »
Good on ya!  But you also illustrate why I've used the same equipment for almost 20 years!

I thought you moved to Zimatic or Pico or some other automated system. Glad to hear you're still old school. I still have my 1992 enamel brew kettle and stir spoon but that's about it. I move to a new cooler and SS kettle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 03:59:14 pm »

I thought you moved to Zimatic or Pico or some other automated system. Glad to hear you're still old school. I still have my 1992 enamel brew kettle and stir spoon but that's about it. I move to a new cooler and SS kettle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I still use my various cooler systems along with a Zymatic, a Pico and a Grainfather.  Depends on what I feel like.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 07:02:42 am »

You should know me by now. I can't leave well enough alone. And, I figured since I was starting over anyways, why not.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 08:26:48 am »

You should know me by now. I can't leave well enough alone. And, I figured since I was starting over anyways, why not.

Oh, I KNOW how you are!  :)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 05:57:41 pm »
Or option zero on a mac.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 08:49:13 pm »
Funny, on my laptop it's alt 0176

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)