Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimental Brewing Podcast Episode 40 -The Quality of Transformation  (Read 1596 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/episode-40-quality-transformation

New opening to the show this time through. Let's see how you like it (let us know!)

In the pub, we stop by and take about brewery charities and one in particular for Denny's area. We talk about one previous guest's new "kid" rules and the response, before we tackle the big Wicked news of the week and the really insidious piece that virtually no one is talking about behind the scenes.

We stop in the brewery to talk the latest malt report from our good friend Teri Fahrendorf and Denny reminisces about the good old cow and hog reports of his youth.

In the lab, we announce our latest experiment - the IGORs are taking a stab at the Brulosophy gang's Biotransformation ale - aka can you tell a difference between a beer dry hopped at high krausen and one dry hopped in secondary. Of course, we're adding an extra special twist to the whole thing because we're required to by law. Twist one, testing two different strains with some IGORs pulling out Wyeast 1318 and some pulling Wyeast 1056. Twist two - we're going to have some visually blind trials vs visual trials. Woo...

Then in the Lounge, Denny talks to Jessica Davis of the Bruery about what it means to do QA work for a brewery with as many on going projects as they have. It's seriously interesting to learn what it means to work in the beer world and be tasked with keeping an eye on things

Finally we tackle questions we can answer. Drop a quick tip on ya and explore just why Drew wants to subject one of his chihuahuas to dangerous acrobatics.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 09:58:16 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
Thanks for a great podcast... Thoroughly enjoy them all!

Corripe Cervisiam

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
Thanks for a great podcast... Thoroughly enjoy them all!

Thanks!  Love the pic!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Enjoyed it - had a storm disrupt my TV signal, but not my internet connection, so I whiled away the 90 minutes listening to the podcast and the thunder rumbling through....and I agree that some fresh spruce tips can make a great beer - but always go lightly, as they can affect flavor as well as mouthfeel if overdone.  I've found that a half ounce of freshly picked 1/2 inch long spruce tips (the softest early tips, not the longer ones) are perfect for 5 gallons of a pale ale with some crystal 60 in the grist.  Late boil or flame out additions are preferred by most samplers. Cheers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
I really enjoyed Drew's piece about the websites created by InBev.  Not trying to stir the put, but it was a nice reminder to always trust, but verify.  Thought you both presented great points about personal decisions to drink or not drink a breweries product (full disclosure: I just enjoyed a Coors Banquet a few minutes ago)  :D

Offline M-O-O-N That spells beer!

• Assistant Brewer
  • South Jersey
In the podcast, both Drew and Denny are in agreement that smoked peat malt should not be used in any beer, that it's a crime.. why is that?

I was at a brewery tonight and they used smoked peat malt in a wee heavy and thought immediately of the latest podcast.

Cheers!
Na zdrowie!

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
why is that?

Because <Judge Dredd voice>I am the law</JDV>

First, I'm an Irish whiskey drinker much more than a Scotch drinker (having a glass right now as I edit things). I don't dislike peat in a whiskey though. My problem with peat in a beer is two fold - one for strong scottish ales, it's an old American canard that it should be in there. Peat malt is pretty much just whiskey malt. second, it's an incredible potent character that requires an exceedingly light touch to not overwhelm things. Most of us  lack the  restraint of character to avoid turning our beers into a peaty phenolic mess.

So - a blanket ban!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
In the podcast, both Drew and Denny are in agreement that smoked peat malt should not be used in any beer, that it's a crime.. why is that?

I was at a brewery tonight and they used smoked peat malt in a wee heavy and thought immediately of the latest podcast.

Cheers!

IMO, peated malt in a wee heavy is an abomination based on a myth.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN

Cheers!

IMO, peated malt in a wee heavy is an abomination based on a myth.

Agreed. Can't stand peated malt in beer. Any is too much IMO.
Jon H.