Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Craftmeister alkaline wash  (Read 6008 times)

Offline Andor

• Assistant Brewer
Craftmeister alkaline wash
« on: May 11, 2017, 11:12:23 am »
I got a sample of this with my new spike kettle. It worked good and after reading up on it I like the idea of it compared to oxy type cleaners. But at their dose of 1 oz per gallon, its way too expensive. I see craftmeisters products are getting love but at 2-3 $ to clean a 5 gallon keg I don't think I'm sold. Am I missing something?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Craftmeister alkaline wash
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 12:37:46 pm »
I use oxyclean for everyday cleaning and PBW for kegs. As my water is crazy hard and I want the extra assurance of a clean rinse. PBW is expensive as well, but I only make it 1-2 gallons at a time and clean multiple kegs using a pump. $1 to clean 2-4 kegs is fine with me.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 01:07:14 pm »
I use nothing but Craftmeister.  The alkaline cleaner works better with cold water than PBW works with hot water.  Here's a comparison we did, complete with pics...https://www.experimentalbrew.com/blogs/drew/craftmeister-cleaners-picturing-carboy-test .  Not only does it clean better, but it rinses more easily than PBW or Oxiclean.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 01:24:35 pm »
That stuff is awesome, but I use way less than 1 oz. per gallon.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 01:59:48 pm »

So do I

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 02:16:06 pm »
I use nothing but Craftmeister.  The alkaline cleaner works better with cold water than PBW works with hot water.  Here's a comparison we did, complete with pics...https://www.experimentalbrew.com/blogs/drew/craftmeister-cleaners-picturing-carboy-test .  Not only does it clean better, but it rinses more easily than PBW or Oxiclean.
Denny, Having seen that comparison before, I now have a question for you. Is this how you normally clean your equipment, with just an extended soak, or do you use some kind of agitation or scrubbing? If scrubbing, I'm sure even the most frugal of us could use lees cleaner in a smaller volume of water to get the job done
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

narvin

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 03:08:18 pm »
Have you used it on stainless?  I tried the samples I got a NHC but was honestly less than impressed... I feel like I did something wrong.  It wasn't worse than pbw but seemed to have trouble dissolving in lukewarm water and left the same amount of crust on my stainless fermenter.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 03:20:24 pm »
How do the two different Craftmeister products compare?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 03:22:47 pm »
Denny, Having seen that comparison before, I now have a question for you. Is this how you normally clean your equipment, with just an extended soak, or do you use some kind of agitation or scrubbing? If scrubbing, I'm sure even the most frugal of us could use lees cleaner in a smaller volume of water to get the job done

Depends.  Fermenters I wipe lightly sponge (advantage of buckets!) to get heavy build up off before I fill them with water and let them soak.  The only reason I do that is so all that crap I wipe off isn't floating in the water (icky!).  My kettle will get an overnight soak with the alkaline, then wiped lightly with sponge or paper towels.  But I never do any heavy scrubbing.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 03:23:29 pm »
Have you used it on stainless?  I tried the samples I got a NHC but was honestly less than impressed... I feel like I did something wrong.  It wasn't worse than pbw but seemed to have trouble dissolving in lukewarm water and left the same amount of crust on my stainless fermenter.

Yep, many times.  Worked great for me.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 03:24:41 pm »
How do the two different Craftmeister products compare?

The Oxygen is pretty much like PBW or Oxiclean, but it dissolves better than either.  The alkaline is really strong and works great even with cold water.  In hot water it's amazing.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 03:45:12 pm »
Between buckets and kettles, do you use over the other for either, or are they essentially interchangeable?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 03:58:52 pm »
Between buckets and kettles, do you use over the other for either, or are they essentially interchangeable?

I generally use the Oxy for fermenters because they don't need as much oomph.  I use the alkaline for my converted keg kettle, or for the corny I use to boil in with my Zymatic.  Heavy grime.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Andor

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 04:17:49 pm »

So do I

How much are you guys using?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 04:25:38 pm »

So do I

How much are you guys using?

1/2-3/4 as much as recommended.  Although I up that when I haven't cleaned my kettle in a year!  :)

www.dennybrew.com