Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottle conditioning  (Read 1635 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Bottle conditioning
« on: May 11, 2017, 02:18:34 pm »
I plan to bottle from a keg with my Blichman Beer Gun.  I've done this once before and I'm not sure that all of the sugar got into mixture in the keg. Is there a good way of a ensuring a good mix so that all of the bottles carb up appropriately?

Last time, I dumped the corn sugar and yeast into a sanitized keg, sealed it, purged it w/ CO2, transferred the beer from the fermenter to the keg, then bottled out of the keg.  Is there a better way?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: Bottle conditioning
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 06:13:11 pm »
I plan to bottle from a keg with my Blichman Beer Gun.  I've done this once before and I'm not sure that all of the sugar got into mixture in the keg. Is there a good way of a ensuring a good mix so that all of the bottles carb up appropriately?

Last time, I dumped the corn sugar and yeast into a sanitized keg, sealed it, purged it w/ CO2, transferred the beer from the fermenter to the keg, then bottled out of the keg.  Is there a better way?
You can put the proper amount of sugar directly in the bottles.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=23215.msg296546#msg296546
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 12:25:29 pm »

If you are racking the beer on top of the priming sugar and rehydrated yeast, I can't imagine a better way of doing it as this is how people bottle using a bottling bucket.

A good trick might be to swirl the keg gently as the beer is being racked on top of the priming solution and yeast at first to get it to mix more evenly, then allow the mixture to continue to spread out more appropriately.

You could also try inverting the keg or rolling it gently on its side to more thoroughly mix things only after you have properly purged with CO2 and seated the lid, of course.

Or attempt the priming setup as stated above in the previous post.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 12:31:07 pm »

If you are racking the beer on top of the priming sugar and rehydrated yeast, I can't imagine a better way of doing it as this is how people bottle using a bottling bucket.

A good trick might be to swirl the keg gently as the beer is being racked on top of the priming solution and yeast at first to get it to mix more evenly, then allow the mixture to continue to spread out more appropriately.

You could also try inverting the keg or rolling it gently on its side to more thoroughly mix things only after you have properly purged with CO2 and seated the lid, of course.

Or attempt the priming setup as stated above in the previous post.

I've done the beer gun for bottle priming thing just like you mention, Rob. Several times, no mixing issues. Just a corny for a bottling bucket, and a fancier wand. Rack onto the syrup as usual and invert the keg gently a few times, good to go.
Jon H.