Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Added more grains but OG the same  (Read 4191 times)

Offline 630skirmish

• Cellarman
Added more grains but OG the same
« on: May 10, 2017, 07:45:48 pm »
So I did a Norther Brewer saison which called for half pound of specialty grains. I called them and they said if I do a whole pound I would up the ABV. I ended up getting 1.041 which is what they say you get by using half pound of grains but I used a whole pound. Why wouldn't the OG go up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 08:33:30 pm »
Sounds like they gave you bad advice. Steeping grains will add some sugars, but mostly unfermentables that will not increase your ABV. Adding more extract or cane/corn sugar would increase your ABV.

Were volume measurements accurate?

ETA - Was your wort throughly mixed when you took a reading?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 08:53:00 pm by Stevie »

Offline 630skirmish

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 12:03:53 pm »
Sounds like they gave you bad advice. Steeping grains will add some sugars, but mostly unfermentables that will not increase your ABV. Adding more extract or cane/corn sugar would increase your ABV.

I've never been happy with their advice or "brewmasters" on the phone. My wort was complexly mixed just to be sure and I took 3 readings. Even if they were unfermentable sugars the gravity should still increase right?

I had the grains in a tight bag muslin bag with no room to move. Maybe I didn't extract all the sugars from the grain and it ended up with the same gravity?

Also I take my sample at the very top of the Carboy with a pipete but I don't think that would make a difference after being rocked and aerated. 

« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 12:24:40 pm by 630skirmish »

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Added more grains but OG the same
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 04:31:26 am »
I'm assuming this kit was based on LME/DME.
If you had to top off with water after the boil, then the hydrometer reading may be significantly off due to the difficulty in getting wort and water to completely mix.
The steeping grains really don't add much in the way of fermentables to the mix. They do add color, flavor, aroma, etc. When I was using extract, I found that the steeping grain added no sugar to the mix.

"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline 630skirmish

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 10:00:55 pm »
I'm assuming this kit was based on LME/DME.
If you had to top off with water after the boil, then the hydrometer reading may be significantly off due to the difficulty in getting wort and water to completely mix.
The steeping grains really don't add much in the way of fermentables to the mix. They do add color, flavor, aroma, etc. When I was using extract, I found that the steeping grain added no sugar to the mix.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/petite-saison-d-ete-extract-kit

It was this kit. I just added more of the specialty grains. I mixed it the beer up and took multiple readings and ended up with the same OG they say you should get but I added mor grains. What's weird is even though the grains aren't fermentable the OG should still go up?

Offline 630skirmish

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 10:03:05 pm »

I got 1.041 which is what the kit says I'm supposed to get. I had the grains in a tight back so maybe I didn't extract very much and ended up with the same recipe