Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CO2 Education  (Read 4534 times)

Offline old.va.brewer

• 1st Kit
CO2 Education
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2017, 07:19:27 am »
You mentioned there is a difference between food grade CO2 and other grades. I have heard this before but never heard an explanation. What is the difference?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Food Grade Co2 is filtered and certified for human consumption. Industrial grade Co2 can contain oils. But with that said, since the beverage industry is one of the largest consumers of Co2. Most locations just carry the food grade. But it is always good to ask. If you see an oily film on your beer, check your tank.
Brace the tank well and place a white piece of paper about 4-6 inches from the nozzle.
Open the valve in 3-4 burst. ( Tank should be WELL secured) you will see some moisture on the paper but there should not be any dark or oily residue. If so tell your supplier and make sure you get a newly filled tank. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 07:21:03 am by old.va.brewer »

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: CO2 Education
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2017, 06:47:02 am »
While that difference in purity is small, it can make a difference in the longevity of the beer. Its not just the price.

Use food-grade gas.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
Re: CO2 Education
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2017, 09:06:37 pm »
For my own personal sanity I've always used food grade co2. Finding out what the difference is between grades has helped me understand why I should use it. It will also help me to explain to other homebrewers why they should use food grade co2.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk