Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 'Black witbier'  (Read 8076 times)

Offline BeerSeq

• Cellarman
'Black witbier'
« on: May 14, 2017, 06:54:26 pm »
Hi all,

I'm working on a concept beer - a 'black witbier.' The basic idea is to be a witbier but black in color (which I realize is an oxymoron), with minimal roast of course and with a heavy charge of anise to give it a strong black licorice impression in addition to coriander/orange peel. I've heard people say tangerines work particularly well for witbiers so my recipe in the making thus far is as follows:

40% pils
33% flaked wheat
10% midnight wheat (550 SRM)
8% flaked oats
8% Munich II
Mash @ 153F
21 IBUs hallertau @ 60min
0.5oz of Indian coriander, zest of 6 tangerines, and 1oz star anise (crushed) at T-5 minutes before end of boil.
Ferment with WLP410 Belgian Wit II at 68F

Note I am a man who LOVES black licorice so if 1oz of star anise sounds like way too much to you... I might be in the right ballpark for my tastes ;)

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: 'Black witbier'
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 07:19:34 pm »
Coriander, orange, and star anise sounds like 1 to many spices.  Just my 2 cents

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 07:48:19 pm »
I like the idea. 10% midnight wheat is way too much in my opinion. Not sure how the color works out but I would try to stay within 5%. I would shoot for 24 srm and call it good. You could always supplement with sinamar as well.

Not sure if there is any info on it but Stone did a black wit that I had on a few ocassions and enjoyed.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 07:49:56 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 06:02:57 am »
I love the concept.  Try Unibroue Trois Pistoles for something kind of similar.  Very good beer.

That is way too much tangerine and star anise though.  Cut back to just 1 or 2 tangerines, and 1 teaspoon of star anise.  Spicing is more about subtlety.  I think a teaspoon of star anise will still be in your face enough.  Could go maybe 1.5 teaspoons.

Also I fear too much midnight wheat, if that is possible.  I'd cut that back but not by so much that you would only have a brown beer.  Cutting back to 7% should still be black enough, especially if you offset by increasing the Munich to like 15-20% and cut back the pilsner to make up for the extra Munich.

That should do the trick.  Enjoy!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 07:30:34 am »
I love the concept.  Try Unibroue Trois Pistoles for something kind of similar.  Very good beer.

That is way too much tangerine and star anise though.  Cut back to just 1 or 2 tangerines, and 1 teaspoon of star anise.  Spicing is more about subtlety.  I think a teaspoon of star anise will still be in your face enough.  Could go maybe 1.5 teaspoons.

Also I fear too much midnight wheat, if that is possible.  I'd cut that back but not by so much that you would only have a brown beer.  Cutting back to 7% should still be black enough, especially if you offset by increasing the Munich to like 15-20% and cut back the pilsner to make up for the extra Munich.

That should do the trick.  Enjoy!
I agree with this. You could always cut the Midnight wheat and back it up with some Sinamar. You could get the color w/o making it too roasty. I do like the idea. I would start low with the spices and go up. Maybe try making a tea and tasting first. You may then be able to scale up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline BeerSeq

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 02:21:26 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll definitely cut back on the midnight wheat and tangerines, and ... consider starting the star anise lower.

I only hesitate on the anise because I find that what most people consider way too much licorice is just at the low end of the threshold for me, since I love the flavor and can't get enough of it.

Last time I used anise it was at an attempt to make a Pennsylvania swankey... and I used about 4.5g which I guess is about 0.15 oz. Couldn't taste it at all. I want to at least triple it... maybe 0.5oz is a good next point to try.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 03:19:01 pm »
Now you're talking.  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 04:12:08 pm »
The current issue of BYO has an article about brewing dark versions of pale color beers.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 11:26:09 am »
Tbe Bruery in Placentia made a black wit for years - Black Orchard - They gave me a recipe a few years back for Zymurgy. https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/the-bruerys-black-orchard-wit/
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 08:33:36 am »
Last time I used anise it was at an attempt to make a Pennsylvania swankey... and I used about 4.5g which I guess is about 0.15 oz. Couldn't taste it at all. I want to at least triple it... maybe 0.5oz is a good next point to try.

Did you use star anise or anise seed for the swankey? Swankey was made with anise seed.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline lowell.blikre

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 06:35:10 am »
A small % of Dinglemann debittered black malt would help you hit your color mark.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Offline BeerSeq

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 03:59:31 pm »

Did you use star anise or anise seed for the swankey? Swankey was made with anise seed.

Actually looking back on my notes in more detail I used both - 3.0g of anise seed and 1.5g of star anise.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 10:05:14 pm »
I love this idea.  Please tell us how it turns out.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 10:25:58 pm »
I also like the idea, I would drop the munich and add the lion's share of the dark malt at sparge (and sparge a little cooler than usual <160F) like with a black IPA. I would also drop it to ~2 tangerines and maybe 3 star anise stars. You could also add brewers' licorice, if you wanted. FWIW, I like my witbiers around 1.048 and with ~15 IBUs.

Offline BeerSeq

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 11:54:26 am »
I also like the idea, I would drop the munich and add the lion's share of the dark malt at sparge (and sparge a little cooler than usual <160F) like with a black IPA. I would also drop it to ~2 tangerines and maybe 3 star anise stars. You could also add brewers' licorice, if you wanted. FWIW, I like my witbiers around 1.048 and with ~15 IBUs.
Yeah def going to drop the # of tangerines. I was only thinking of adding Munich since it's a darker beer and may give that impression of cola that I sometimes get from Munich malt... thought it would compliment the licorice.