Author Topic: 'Black witbier'  (Read 3287 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
    • View Profile
    • Brewing After Law School
Re: 'Black witbier'
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2017, 06:35:58 PM »
Yeah def going to drop the # of tangerines. I was only thinking of adding Munich since it's a darker beer and may give that impression of cola that I sometimes get from Munich malt... thought it would compliment the licorice.

I understand that sensibility, but I suspect that any darker malts will detract from the "witbier" quality. If you're making more of a witbier/porter hybrid, then so be it.

Offline erockrph

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 03:36:54 PM »
I like the concept, but I think you might be trying to shoehorn too much into one beer, and will have a hard time hitting the balance point you're looking for.

Instead of a witbier yeast, have you considered using a neutral ale yeast and trying this as a spiced brown ale? That might give you closer to the flavors you're looking for, even though the initial "Aha!" moment was for a black witbier.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2017, 04:04:11 PM »
Gotta ask just to bust chops - where's all the grief us Black IPA brewers had to take? Both are misnomers, both black mostly for apearance.   ;D.  <sound of pot stirring>
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2017, 04:56:08 PM »
Gotta ask just to bust chops - where's all the grief us Black IPA brewers had to take? Both are misnomers, both black mostly for apearance.   ;D.  <sound of pot stirring>

Trying my best to hold my comments.  Don't want another Black IPA conflagration!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2017, 05:09:28 PM »

Trying my best to hold my comments.  Don't want another Black IPA conflagration!

Don't have to with me, Denny ;D  I was just stirring the pot anyway!
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2017, 06:23:34 PM »

Watch it Jon!  You might get your mod options revoked...  :o ;D

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2017, 06:33:30 PM »

Watch it Jon!  You might get your mod options revoked...  :o ;D

;D.
Jon H.

Offline dmtaylor

• Two Rivers, WI
    • View Profile
    • Manty Malters - Meet the Malters! - Dave Taylor
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2017, 08:12:06 PM »
But this is nothing like "black IPA", which neither has anything to do with India, nor is it pale.  I see a black witbier as something more like a Trois Pistoles clone, and that beer has been around far longer than any "black IPA".... unless you consider the fact that "black IPA" is really either just

A) an IPA with black food color,

B) an American stout, or

C) a really robust robust porter.

;)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 08:13:49 PM by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Big Monk

'Black witbier'
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2017, 09:44:10 PM »
But this is nothing like "black IPA", which neither has anything to do with India, nor is it pale.  I see a black witbier as something more like a Trois Pistoles clone, and that beer has been around far longer than any "black IPA".... unless you consider the fact that "black IPA" is really either just

B) an American stout, or

;)

Except that Trois Pistoles is a BDSA!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 09:46:50 PM by Big Monk »

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2017, 10:07:48 PM »

B) an American stout, or

;)

Dave, by your logic, a witbier ( often called a Belgian White ale) sounds kinda silly as a "Belgian Black White ale". So of course it's a misnomer, and is also dyed black for the sake of color.

Secondly, I've heard the American Stout argument ad nauseum. As someone who brews American Stout every year, there are few similarities other than color. American Stout is assertively roasty and (per guidelines) in aroma and flavor, and may have medium to very low late hop aroma. Black IPA has slight to no roast character and high hop flavor and high hop aroma. Not just semantics IMO. Not many people who try Wookey jack would confuse it with American Stout.

Lastly, I brewed maybe 4 or 5 black IPAs total, and posted today with tongue FIRMLY in cheek. :)  People should brew whatever sounds good to them, not us anyway.
Jon H.

Offline dmtaylor

• Two Rivers, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2017, 10:09:17 PM »

Pataytah, patahtah...

I thought the Belgians didn't care about categories anyways.  'Course, most of us are not Belgian, either.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2017, 10:09:33 PM »

There is that.
Jon H.

Offline dmtaylor

• Two Rivers, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2017, 10:11:47 PM »
Dave, by your logic, a witbier ( often called a Belgian White ale) sounds kinda silly as a "Belgian Black White ale". So of course it's a misnomer, and is also dyed black for the sake of color.

Secondly, I've heard the American Stout argument ad nauseum. As someone who brews American Stout every year, there are few similarities other than color. American Stout is assertively roasty and (per guidelines) in aroma and flavor, and may have medium to very low late hop aroma. Black IPA has slight to no roast character and high hop flavor and high hop aroma. Not just semantics IMO. Not many people who try Wookey jack would confuse it with American Stout.

Lastly, I brewed maybe 4 or 5 black IPAs total, and posted today with tongue FIRMLY in cheek. :)  People should brew whatever sounds good to them, not us anyway.

I, too, have tongue firmly planted in cheek.  You're right... what the hell is a black white beer anyway?

Don't mind me... I'm still just butthurt over the lack of a Purple IPA category in the 2015 Guidelines.  ;)
Dave

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2017, 10:12:48 PM »

I, too, have tongue firmly planted in cheek.  You're right... what the hell is a black white beer anyway?

Don't mind me... I'm still just butthurt over the lack of a Purple IPA category in the 2015 Guidelines.  ;)

Agreed.  ;D
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2017, 10:13:35 PM »

Agreed.  ;D

Just wait til next year when they add Rainbow IPA!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell