Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 'Black witbier'  (Read 8038 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: 'Black witbier'
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2017, 04:16:40 pm »
Dave, by your logic, a witbier ( often called a Belgian White ale) sounds kinda silly as a "Belgian Black White ale". So of course it's a misnomer, and is also dyed black for the sake of color.

Secondly, I've heard the American Stout argument ad nauseum. As someone who brews American Stout every year, there are few similarities other than color. American Stout is assertively roasty and (per guidelines) in aroma and flavor, and may have medium to very low late hop aroma. Black IPA has slight to no roast character and high hop flavor and high hop aroma. Not just semantics IMO. Not many people who try Wookey jack would confuse it with American Stout.

Lastly, I brewed maybe 4 or 5 black IPAs total, and posted today with tongue FIRMLY in cheek. :)  People should brew whatever sounds good to them, not us anyway.

I, too, have tongue firmly planted in cheek.  You're right... what the hell is a black white beer anyway?

Don't mind me... I'm still just butthurt over the lack of a Purple IPA category in the 2015 Guidelines.  ;)

Agreed.  ;D

Just wait til next year when they add Rainbow IPA!

Kind of opens another can of worms altogether.  ;D   I'm the first to admit that IPA has 'jumped the shark'. I brew maybe a couple per year and they're more or less Blind Pig style.
Jon H.

Big Monk

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2017, 04:20:31 pm »
Except that Trois Pistoles is a BDSA!

Pataytah, patahtah...

I thought the Belgians didn't care about categories anyways.  'Course, most of us are not Belgian, either.

The Belgians might not care but you'd have to ask the Canadians how they felt!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2017, 05:07:15 pm »
Dave, by your logic, a witbier ( often called a Belgian White ale) sounds kinda silly as a "Belgian Black White ale". So of course it's a misnomer, and is also dyed black for the sake of color.

Secondly, I've heard the American Stout argument ad nauseum. As someone who brews American Stout every year, there are few similarities other than color. American Stout is assertively roasty and (per guidelines) in aroma and flavor, and may have medium to very low late hop aroma. Black IPA has slight to no roast character and high hop flavor and high hop aroma. Not just semantics IMO. Not many people who try Wookey jack would confuse it with American Stout.

Lastly, I brewed maybe 4 or 5 black IPAs total, and posted today with tongue FIRMLY in cheek. :)  People should brew whatever sounds good to them, not us anyway.

I, too, have tongue firmly planted in cheek.  You're right... what the hell is a black white beer anyway?

Don't mind me... I'm still just butthurt over the lack of a Purple IPA category in the 2015 Guidelines.  ;)

Agreed.  ;D

Just wait til next year when they add Rainbow IPA!

Kind of opens another can of worms altogether.  ;D   I'm the first to admit that IPA has 'jumped the shark'. I brew maybe a couple per year and they're more or less Blind Pig style.

I think at least 75% of the beers I brew for myself are IPA.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2017, 05:32:49 pm »

I still love 'em. Just been brewing hoppy APAs more the last couple years.
Jon H.

Offline BeerSeq

• Cellarman
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2017, 07:18:54 pm »
haha wow looks like I opened up a can of worms on this one.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2017, 07:22:26 pm »
haha wow looks like I opened up a can of worms on this one.

Not at all, just a little faux snark. Enjoy!   ;D
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2017, 08:33:14 am »

I still love 'em. Just been brewing hoppy APAs more the last couple years.

I'm on a 4 oz. per day limit so the extra alcohol isn't a problem.  When I was drinking more I,d brew hoppy APA like you.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2017, 11:32:34 am »
I'm on a 4 oz. per day limit so the extra alcohol isn't a problem.  When I was drinking more I,d brew hoppy APA like you.

I'd be more than happy to help you with the excess beer you have.  ;D
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline ford

• 1st Kit
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2017, 08:31:04 pm »
No Label Brewing in Katy, Texas brews a beer they call Black-Wit-O.

I hate black licorice so I picked up on the taste of star anise in their beer pretty easily. Of course that made me not want to drink it anymore, ha. Just not a fan of that flavor.

Cheers!