Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian Beer: You're probably doing it wrong  (Read 6006 times)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Belgian Beer: You're probably doing it wrong
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2017, 02:46:06 pm »
Most of the bottle dregs are not what we want to brew with...

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2017, 02:50:44 pm »
I'm 'onna get me some Unibroue La Fin du Monde dregs for propagation in very near future.

Now will I be making a Belgian, a Canadian, or an American ale???  ;)

Correction: Or FRENCH Canadian!?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 02:52:42 pm by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2017, 02:59:13 pm »
I'm 'onna get me some Unibroue La Fin du Monde dregs for propagation in very near future.

Get some of the Megadeth Saison (the correct name escapes me) while you're at it. It's way better than I expected.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2017, 03:00:18 pm »

Per the article, you'll be brewing a WI beer, inspired by a Canadian beer that is inspired by a Belgian 'style' beer, Dave. If you don't step mash, your mash tun and fermenter will burst into flames. ;)  Actually I do like step mashing, just thought the article was pretty annoying.
Jon H.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2017, 03:09:03 pm »
And you cant brew an IPA unless you do it in England and put it on a ship destined for India.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2017, 03:19:02 pm »
And that's the issue with how my semi-photographic memory works, I remember parts of things, but not where I heard them.

You and me both.  I'll spout things as truth without providing the basis, only to find later that what I said was partially or fully correct, even though I couldn't remember why.

Yeah...throw in the the Horst Dornbusch stuff I read prior to knowing any better, and I'm sure I've got a lot of wrong information floating around in my head.

And you cant brew an IPA unless you do it in England and put it on a ship destined for India.

Don't forget the bretanomyces!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2017, 03:20:20 pm »

Exactly
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Belgian Beer: You're probably doing it wrong
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2017, 10:03:32 pm »
Re: using Chico for Belgian Pale Ales. Similar advice is given in this interview of Phil Leinhart, brewmaster at Brewery Ommegang.

"Belgian pale ale strains are fairly neutral and can be hard to find. White Labs WLP515 Antwerp Ale and Wyeast 3655-PC Belgian Schelde Ale, available as seasonal strains, are both good choices. In the absence of these, a relatively clean American-ale strain is a good choice."

Edit adding article link: https://www.google.com/amp/s/beerandbrewing.com/amp/ask-the-experts-belgian-yeast-strains

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2017, 03:15:56 am »
The only Belgian pale ale I can think of that may use a clean yeast would be something along the lines of Leffe...certainly wouldn't call a pale ale like Duvel clean.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2017, 09:12:09 am »

Exactly
My bad, I should have elaborated (I agree that culturing up blindly is risky).  This is a guy that gets over there frequently.  His favorite breweries/yeast were from places I never even heard of and I consider myself pretty well versed.  ;D  He encouraged me to try and culture up some DT dregs which he felt was a better option than commercial yeasts. 

Going back to the article, I agree with most but not all points, but especially the no spice.
Sam
Sandusky, OH

jrdatta

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2017, 11:45:37 am »

You and me both.  I'll spout things as truth without providing the basis, only to find later that what I said was partially or fully correct, even though I couldn't remember why.

Along similar lines as above, I believe I'd heard someplace that Scotch ale was developed to emulate either doppelbock or Belgian dubbel, I cannot remember which, except that it does help to explain my extraordinary love for all three malty styles, especially considering if they originally had actually been intended to be somewhat similar in malt character.  But my memory fails me, as usual.  Now that I come to think of it, I wonder if it must be dubbel & Scotch ale that are related, as doppelbock is not quite the same.  But it's equally likely to be a tie between two other ones.  Like a blind triangle -- which of these three is not like the other, come on, can you tell which one.  But I royally digress.

That may have been one of the stories but unfortunately that is complete bunk.  Scotch ales historically were brewed lighter and more highly hopped than even british ales of the time with shorter boils.  And many that were exported were just their regular light colored ales colored with brewers caramel.  Really need to check out shut up about Barclay perkins: http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/

Remember beer stories were told in bars by people of various degrees of intoxication and accuracy :P

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2017, 12:18:28 pm »
The story I'd heard about the birth of what we think of as Scotch ale (Not the pale hoppy stuff mentioned above) was that it was brewed by the Belgians as a "this is what we think the Scots would drink" sort of thing.

Again, I offer no guarantees of historical accuracy, this is just something that stuck in my brain. I may have read it on Ron's blog, or it could be bunk from elsewhere.

jrdatta

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2017, 12:22:50 pm »
Yeah, I have started going into all beer origin stories assuming they are incorrect or at the very least slightly fudged.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2017, 12:29:42 pm »
Yeah, I have started going into all beer origin stories assuming they are incorrect or at the very least slightly fudged.

I haven't gone that far. Some authors, Ron being an excellent example, do a fantastic job of backing their stories up with documentation.

But yes, I'd take the modern assumptions and stories with more than a few grains of salt.

Offline pkervran

• 1st Kit
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2017, 12:56:43 pm »
]I think that article misses the mark in many regards.  Condescending, douchey attitude aside, I would venture to guess that most US brewers are not trying to replicate beers regardless of country of origin.  Inspired brewing with a "make it my own" attitude is the way of the American brewer.  The attitude that only Belgian originals are doing it right is narrow minded.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk