Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Step mashing timing  (Read 12514 times)

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Step mashing timing
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2017, 02:24:09 pm »
to quote your associate big monk " poo-poo'ing something with absolute certainty to other brewers is bad jujus IMHO."

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2017, 02:25:20 pm »
Remember, you are poo-poo, and to poo-poo you shall return.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2017, 02:28:35 pm »
you're extra poo poo because you don't step mash (sacasm)

Big Monk

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2017, 02:33:35 pm »
You guys are real martyrs. Someone asks about step mashing, people who dont step mash tell him it's useless, and then someone level headed calls for balance and somehow we trashed single infusion mashing somewhere? I'm perplexed as always when interacting with you.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2017, 02:37:37 pm »
Someone asked about step mashing

someone that's done it a lot says its not worth it

someone that's done it a lot says its good but that people shouldn't put down other peoples methods just because they don't work for them (good on ya monk)

someone says that its proven fact that step mashes make superior beer, calls beer drinkers sheeple.

That person gets called out for being a douche, (and incorrect)

The Beerery

Step mashing timing
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2017, 02:37:45 pm »
Sorry chief. They are not my beliefs they are proven scientific and sensory analysis reports. As much as you want to make this about me it's not.  There is a difference I quote science and testing you back it up with nothing. If you would have ever read that link I gave you eons ago you would have saw that. I don't feed trolls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2017, 02:42:02 pm »
differing view points and someone disagreeing with you does not make someone a troll, and calling you out on your BS does not make someone a troll. Your links are nice bud, but they still are links you have hand picked to confirm your own views on a subject. I realize I cannot get you to understand the whole confirmation bias thing, so I wont even bother, but a lot of people read this board, and if someone doesn't call you out on your hand picked information, people might start taking it as gospel. Theres been a ton written about mashing temps and procedures, if you want to prove that step mashing is superior, you can certainly find the literature and the breweries making great beer to prove yourself right. If you believe that single infusion or decoction mashing is superior, there is copious literature and breweries to prove you right as well.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2017, 02:48:27 pm »
I'm ready to jump from extract to all grain brewing and have a question about timing the various stages in step mashing: should I start the clock when I get to the target temp or when the previous stage step was finished. For example, Protein Rest: 122° F for 20 minutes and then Beta Sacch’ Rest: 149° F for 30 min. Do I start the 30min timer while I bring temp up to 149 or wait until I hit 149 before staring the clock?

You would start the clock when you hit your next step's rest temperature.  The time during the ramp is counted as ramping time.  For example) 122F protein rest for 20min, ramp 20min, 149F beta rest 30min, etc...

As far as step mashing your first all grain beer: I would not recommend it either.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2017, 02:54:22 pm »
I'm ready to jump from extract to all grain brewing and have a question about timing the various stages in step mashing: should I start the clock when I get to the target temp or when the previous stage step was finished. For example, Protein Rest: 122° F for 20 minutes and then Beta Sacch’ Rest: 149° F for 30 min. Do I start the 30min timer while I bring temp up to 149 or wait until I hit 149 before staring the clock?

For your first all grain, I strongly suggest just a single rest at about 153 degrees.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2017, 03:06:13 pm »
For your first all-grain brew, I suggest you brew one.  Simple as that.  ;)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

The Beerery

Step mashing timing
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2017, 03:34:26 pm »
My first all grain was a step mash. So I would stick with that.

May the foam be with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 03:38:01 pm by The Beerery »

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2017, 03:42:22 pm »
You guys seem awfully sure that step mashing isn't beneficial...

Dozens of trials have led me to that conclusion.

Denny, you are smart enough to know that a finished product is greater than the sum of all its parts. Isolating single process variables often doesn't show the true potential when considered in concert with others.

EDIT: Infusion step mashing versus direct fire is something to consider as well. Actually ramping at a controlled rate to other rests is important.

With that said, everyone should be able to brew how they like. On the other hand, poo-poo'ing something with absolute certainty to other brewers is bad jujus IMHO.

perhaps your low oxygen website needs some revision then my friend.
Oh man... I sure hope this thread can spiral into the abyss of taunts and barbs like so many others. Maybe we can find new ways to say the same damn thing over and over again.

And it is for this reason precisely that I am done with this forum. Good luck, all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2017, 04:06:39 pm »
I hear there's some good information available out there on Facebook.   :o
Dave

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2017, 04:13:47 pm »
Didn't have cell service today until about 2 hours ago. Wow.  >:(

Edit - Thanks, Sprint. Luckily I can change providers in August. System within 1% (or whatever) of the others as they advertise ?  ;D  I call BS on that one.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 04:24:30 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Big Monk

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2017, 04:20:35 pm »
Didn't have cell service today until about 2 hours ago. Wow.  >:(

In the words of the great Ron Burgundy, "That escalated quickly!"