Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Homebrewing tv show  (Read 2212 times)

Offline Andor

• Assistant Brewer
Homebrewing tv show
« on: May 13, 2017, 12:58:56 pm »
Has anyone else seen the show Beerland on the Viceland channel? Meg Gill, the founder of Golden road brewery in Los Angeles, travels around to home brewers and checks out their brewing and local scene. The best brewer of each episode moves on till eventually a winner gets to brew a beer at her brewery. Pretty cool.

I looked up Golden road brewing and happen to click jobs, All AB brands showed up. Hmm. After a quick search yes Golden road is now a AB-inbev brand. Not so cool

https://www.viceland.com/en_us/show/beerland

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Homebrewing tv show
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 01:12:40 pm »
It's terribly produced, it's stupidly self serving and sponsored by ABI.  The AHA was invited to participate and declined.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 01:40:06 pm »
I just saw it last night but missed most of the show. I saw abut the last 5 min

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 02:24:17 pm »
Yeah, saw one and it's crap. ABI buyout aside, she lost me when she was actually considering the 'everything bagel' beer to advance over the clearly better brewer. Ehh, whatever.
Jon H.

Offline Andor

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 02:35:34 pm »
It's terribly produced, it's stupidly self serving and sponsored by ABI.  The AHA was invited to participate and declined.

I watched the 2  episodes I did as if it was an honest show and could let the poor production go. It's a freaking homebrew show. After looking up the brewery I probably won't watch again. It's pretty icky looking back and noting the emphasis on local and fresh some of the brewers had.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 07:31:19 pm »
Golden road was built to be bought. Tons of investors and massive expansion in a short time.

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 10:24:26 am »
The idea itself is a tough sell. Home brewing is far from mainstream and never will be so what kind of a potential audience could u ever achieve? Who would ever want to throw money at something like this show with no possible returns? Denny no offense but I don't understand how this show could be self serving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jimmykx250

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 10:26:21 am »
The idea itself is a tough sell. Home brewing is far from mainstream and never will be so what kind of a potential audience could u ever achieve? Who would ever want to throw money at something like this show with no possible returns? Denny no offense but I don't understand how this show could be self serving?

It's an ABI commercial
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 10:55:32 am »
Why because of the 5 second golden road logo at the end of the show? Sorry man I just don't get your angle " it's a ABI commercial" it's a poorly produced homebrew show.

Jimmykx250

Offline ncbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 03:51:40 pm »
I caught the first 3 episodes last night on On Demand. It seems to be more of a homebrew drinking show than homebrewing. And I assume Meg is very nice in person but her on screen persona comes across as about as exciting as a wet dishrag. All things considered the worst of the beer related shows I've seen.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 04:00:23 pm »
I miss Beer Geeks. Not sure if it's online only now or what, but it was a solid beer travel show.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 04:07:48 pm »
I miss Beer Geeks. Not sure if it's online only now or what, but it was a solid beer travel show.

I'd watch a home brewer version of Beer Geeks.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women