Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When can you add salt?  (Read 1637 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
When can you add salt?
« on: May 21, 2017, 05:38:35 am »
Does it make any difference to the beer when you add salt in the brewing process?

I had intended to add 1/4 teaspoon of salt in the bottling bucket for a brown ale but forgot to do it.  When I remember, I've been adding it at the bottling stage because that's when another brewer posted that's when he adds it.  But, can I do it earlier? Does it interfere with fermentation in any way?

I do have a "procedure" check list I use to keep me on task up until the time the wort and yeast go into the fermenter.  After that, I've just been "winging it."

If it won't harm anything to add it earlier, I can add it to my brew day procedure checklist and I'll be more likely to get it in the brew.

Thanks in advance for your advise.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: When can you add salt?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 06:07:01 am »
If you are adding it for flavor, the timing shouldn't matter.  For mashing, calcium and carbonate salts affect pH and alkalinity which affects that process.  But it seems to me you are only trying to impact flavor.  And in either case, regular table salt (sodium chloride) only affects flavor.  So then don't worry.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: When can you add salt?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 12:25:14 pm »
What Dave said with the addition that you are using non-iodized salt.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.