Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water profile for Iced Tea  (Read 2138 times)

Online tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Water profile for Iced Tea
« on: May 20, 2017, 03:31:47 pm »
This is a bit off topic, but, does anyone have a preference for particular water profile for iced tea?

I like when the tea has a minerally/harder water taste. I think it's more refreshing.

I am thinking of experimenting with gypsum and calcium chloride when I brew tea. Maybe I will start with Brun'water Amber Balanced profile for my first batch.

Offline BrewBama

Re: Water profile for Iced Tea
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 04:04:23 pm »
http://www.freshcup.com/water-for-tea/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 05:55:48 pm »
Just make surs you don't put any sugar in and you will be fine

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 10:19:11 am »
^^ that boy ain't right. ;)

Online tommymorris

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 10:36:35 am »
^^ that boy ain't right. ;)

I'm with Major on this one.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 04:33:00 pm »
every now and then someone gives me sweet tea instead of unsweet tea and the effect is bracing! Like jumping in a pool of ice water. Holy hell southern sweet tea is so sweet I can't even taste the tea! I swear to the heavens if you colored the water tea colored and put the same amount of sugar in no southern sweet tea drinker would notice! ;)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 04:59:27 pm »
every now and then someone gives me sweet tea instead of unsweet tea and the effect is bracing! Like jumping in a pool of ice water. Holy hell southern sweet tea is so sweet I can't even taste the tea! I swear to the heavens if you colored the water tea colored and put the same amount of sugar in no southern sweet tea drinker would notice! ;)

Man, no joke. My Mom's side of the family is from the South, and I grew up drinking that crap. My Grandma's cooking was amazing, but her sweet tea probably had the calories of a hot fudge sundae.  :)
Jon H.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 05:31:40 pm »
My family's ice tea will make your eye teeth hurt. LOL

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 08:04:16 am »
Sweet drinks are so not refreshing IMO.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 08:12:37 am »
This is a bit off topic, but, does anyone have a preference for particular water profile for iced tea?

I like when the tea has a minerally/harder water taste. I think it's more refreshing.

I am thinking of experimenting with gypsum and calcium chloride when I brew tea. Maybe I will start with Brun'water Amber Balanced profile for my first batch.

I am a bit of an iced tea aficionado.  I have for example brewed 8-10 different teas at the same time and tasted them blind side-by-side to determine which brands and techniques I prefer.

I have played with baking soda additions in the past based on recommendations from others.  But to be perfectly honest, I don't know if I can really taste the water profile, so typically I do not use anything.

Same goes for beer.  I play with mineral additions trying to match profiles appropriate for each style; however, I have no idea if I can really taste the difference.  Just being honest.

More experiments would be needed for me to know whether it really matters or not.  Hope you find out what you like.

FWIW, I drink my tea semi-sweet, about 2/3 of the way to sweet tea but not cloying.  I definitely have a sweet-tooth.  I also consume ungodly large amounts of Hershey's chocolate on an almost daily basis.  For Christmas I got a 5-lb Hershey bar.  Friends ate about half, I ate the other half myself.  It was gone by March.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 08:17:57 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.