Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing a double recipe  (Read 1139 times)

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
Brewing a double recipe
« on: May 18, 2017, 03:34:19 pm »
So I have a number of Brew sessions in planning for the summer that we require need to brew about twice as much as I normally do. I normally do about 5 to 6 gallon batchs, however I have a couple of batches that will be between 10 and 13 gallons. I currently have a mash tun that holds 10 gallons of water and comfortably does a 6-7gallon batch. Should I buy a second mash tun so I can do a large amount at once or just do two separate mashes and use one mash tun. I do have a 15 gallon brew pot so that should not be a concern, and I also have a 16gal fermenter.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Online ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Brewing a double recipe
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 03:46:10 pm »
I like to be able to do full mashes in one vessel, but I know that some folks will do a concentrated mash and simply add water to the wort for the boil.  I also know that some RIMS arrangements use 2 vessels for the mash - one with the grain and another that is being heated and returned to the one with the grain by pump.  You balance the flow and return, such that about half of the wort is in each vessel (and return lines) at each point in time, until running off into the boil vessel.  (I think the Blichmann approach is the version I have seen emulated - Blichmann calls it the Brew Easy, I think and the RIMS approach in that setting as K RIMS (Kettle RIMS).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
Re: Brewing a double recipe
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 12:55:38 pm »
I use a 10-gallon Igloo mash tun.  I can do 10-gallon batches of beers of 1.055 or less.  When going for something bigger, I just add a pound or two of extract to the kettle.
Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS