Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My first brew  (Read 1355 times)

Offline sb1020

• 1st Kit
My first brew
« on: May 20, 2017, 10:32:25 am »
Hey there everyone,

So my and my fiancee finally decided to make our first batch of beer. We're using a glass, one gallon carboy with your regular plastic airlock. I think the beer we're making is something close to a czech pilsner, as we used czech saaz hops in our brewing. I have two questions, so far, and I'm hoping you seasoned member could give me a couple hints:

1. This seems to be a common problem, but it's been three days in the carboy and the bubbles are almost dead, like one bubble will pop in the airlock maybe every two minutes, it was one ever 20 sec. or so on the first day. I know you'll ask, so no, we don't have a hydrometer (I've been kicking myself for the last 24 hours). The instructions given to us with the kit says to leave it in the carboy for 14 days before bottling. So, since I'm unable to take a hydrometer reading, if I just leave it alone for the 14 days, even if fermentation HAS stopped, will it still be ok?

2. There's all the stuff at the bottom. I'm fine with it but the misses is thinking about filtering? Is filtering worth the cost? if so, what's the best and most cost effective way of going about it?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Offline sb1020

• 1st Kit
Re: My first brew
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 10:36:16 am »
My line of foam has also really thinned out if that is important info.

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 10:39:40 am »
Sounds like a good fermentation.
1. small batches ferment quickly so 2-3 days would be normal.
2. The beer should clear over the next 1-2 weeks, best not to open it until you're ready to bottle. the stuff in the bottom is normal as well and you should not need to filter. a bit of the same precipitate will be present in the bottle as well.
All normal, and congrats on the first batch. Welcome to the obsession. :)

« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 10:42:19 am by Steve L »
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline sb1020

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 10:43:32 am »
2. The beer should clear over the next 1-2 weeks, best not to open it until you're ready to bottle. the stuff in the bottom is normal as well and you should not need to filter. a bit of the same precipitate will be present in the bottle as well.

Thanks so much Steve! Also glad to hear about the filtering, one less thing I need to buy lol

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 11:07:54 am »

Thanks so much Steve! Also glad to hear about the filtering, one less thing I need to buy lol

I'd give it a few more days just to be sure fermentation is over.  Then, assuming you have refrigerator space,  take off the airlock, cover the opening tightly with foil, and put the fermenter in the fridge for 3-4 days.  That will make all the particulates drop to the bottom of the fermenter and you can siphon clear beer from above the sludge on the bottom.  If you can't do that, just let it sit at room temp for another week or so and the same thing will happen.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 11:24:14 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 11:14:36 am »

I'd give it a few more days just to be sure fermentation is over.  Then, assuming you have refrigerator space,  take off the airlock, cover the opening tightly with foil, and put the fermenter in the fridge for 3-43 days.  That will make all the particulates drop to the bottom of the fermenter and you can siphon clear beer from above the sludge on the bottom.  If you can't do that, just let it sit at room temp for another week or so and the same thing will happen.
43 day cold crash! That will get 'er done. :)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 11:23:56 am »

I'd give it a few more days just to be sure fermentation is over.  Then, assuming you have refrigerator space,  take off the airlock, cover the opening tightly with foil, and put the fermenter in the fridge for 3-43 days.  That will make all the particulates drop to the bottom of the fermenter and you can siphon clear beer from above the sludge on the bottom.  If you can't do that, just let it sit at room temp for another week or so and the same thing will happen.
43 day cold crash! That will get 'er done. :)

Damn...corrected!  :)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 11:40:39 am »
LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline sb1020

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 04:45:09 pm »
I don't think I can get away with taking up the fridge space, so I think I'll leave him for the 14 days. Next batch, I will definitely be buying a hydrometer so I can take away some of the guesswork.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 05:21:49 am »
You can still buy a hydrometer and equally as important a hydrometer tube (called a test jar in some catalogs).  You're only four days or so into the normal 14-day fermentation period; even if you have to order online, most suppliers can get it to you in three days or less.  Then, you can take the guesswork out of: is it finished fermenting yet?

Welcome to brewing.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 06:00:15 am »

I agree, so far everything sounds perfectly normal.  The yeast have a big dose of activity at first and then calm down, but they are still working in the there. 

If you don't have one, I would recommend an auto-siphon.  It has a racking cane surrounded by a larger plastic tube with grommets.  All you have to do is pull up the racking cane to fill the outer tube and then push it back down to force the liquid through the cane and tubing.  Usually only takes one to two pumps to prime it and then it will run on it's own.  Makes transferring so easy and starting a beer siphon by mouth (sucking on the tubing) is not sterile.

Cheers and good luck! Welcome to the hobby.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year