Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ale strain for pressurized fermentation  (Read 3907 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Ale strain for pressurized fermentation
« on: July 14, 2017, 11:13:44 am »
I'm looking to experiment with some single keg batches (same keg for fermentation and serving). I'm mainly planning on doing this for IPA's, although I may branch out to other styles if this works well. My plan is to set my adjustable PRV to 15 PSI after pitching, and let it go. If I dry hop, it would be in the first couple of days, while fermentation is still going strong.

My biggest question is which ale strains are suitable for high-pressure brewing. My best-case scenario is if US-05 or some other dry yeast works (in fact, I'll probably try this with US-05 just for the hell of it anyways), but I'm willing to branch out to liquid yeast if needed.

Anyone here have any experience or know of anyone who has tried this for an ale?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Ale strain for pressurized fermentation
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 03:15:44 pm »
I've never tried that, so cannot offer any advice. I am curious, what is the objective of the test?
Roger

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 05:23:00 pm »
I've never tried that, so cannot offer any advice. I am curious, what is the objective of the test?
The primary goal is to preserve as much hop aroma as possible by minimizing off gassing in primary and not transferring to a second keg.

The secondary goal is laziness :) It is the ultimate set and forget, and only one keg to clean.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 05:45:01 pm »
The primary goal is to preserve as much hop aroma as possible by minimizing off gassing in primary and not transferring to a second keg.

The secondary goal is laziness :) It is the ultimate set and forget, and only one keg to clean.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Eric, you should try keg hopping while spunding (in nylon bag) sometime. There is definite biotransformation happening (I know, not my SOP in the past), but the active yeast from spunding do a great job of purging all the O2 from the keg. The beer carbs quickly while spunding, getting you the fresh hops quickly. I did a Galaxy/Citra IPA early in the year and the hop character was stunning - and lasting. Better than before for me.
Jon H.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 09:26:59 pm »
I have an ale on tap now I brewed like 10 or 11 days ago being served on nitro in the same keg it fermented in (shortened dip tubes). For a <4% bitter with only 2 oz of hops and no dry hops the flavor is pretty intense.

A few thoughts: I may shorten the dip tube a little more. I may switch to a true top cropper so after a day or 2 I could remove most of the yeast, drop in some dry hops if applicable, and seal it up.

Trying to catch a spund on an ale is tough for me so could be a good practice for quick turnaround / quick drinking low gravity ales. If it's maybe 4 - 6 weeks on the yeast and most is removed from top cropping I doubt I'd have to worry about any damage from leaving it.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 07:30:18 am »
I have an ale on tap now I brewed like 10 or 11 days ago being served on nitro in the same keg it fermented in (shortened dip tubes). For a <4% bitter with only 2 oz of hops and no dry hops the flavor is pretty intense.

A few thoughts: I may shorten the dip tube a little more. I may switch to a true top cropper so after a day or 2 I could remove most of the yeast, drop in some dry hops if applicable, and seal it up.

Trying to catch a spund on an ale is tough for me so could be a good practice for quick turnaround / quick drinking low gravity ales. If it's maybe 4 - 6 weeks on the yeast and most is removed from top cropping I doubt I'd have to worry about any damage from leaving it.
I leave my dip tubes as-is, and just blow out the trub/yeast with a few short blasts through a picnic tap, but until now I have always jumped to a serving keg.
Eric B.