Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rebel Brewer Closing Retail and Warehouse  (Read 6046 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Rebel Brewer Closing Retail and Warehouse
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 11:25:41 am »
That sucks to hear about Larry's.  Whenever I made a roadtrip to Seattle, I always filled my pickup with sacks of malt from Larry's.  They sold Gambrinus malt from BC at really good prices.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 06:31:33 pm »
  They sold Gambrinus malt from BC at really good prices.

Apparently too good... ;)

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 02:01:08 pm »
Is it too early to blame AB InBev for their purchase of Northern Brewer through their disruptive practice investment group?

I think it has more to do with the availability of good craft beer for a not too bad price.  Folks that would have brewed there own, just buy it now.   This is what my LHBS owner thinks as well.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 08:11:49 pm »
Is it too early to blame AB InBev for their purchase of Northern Brewer through their disruptive practice investment group?

I think it has more to do with the availability of good craft beer for a not too bad price.  Folks that would have brewed there own, just buy it now.   This is what my LHBS owner thinks as well.

I'm curious how good the average craft beer is on the average liquor store shelf though. At least in my area, my homebrews beat out most commercial beers...because my beers aren't consumed 5 months after their bottling date.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 10:11:43 am »
...For me, having Morebeer open a warehouse on the East Coast made it tough to order from anyone else. That was a savvy business move on their part, and I'm sure that set them apart from the other major online retailers for many homebrewers.
This. When I couldn't get it from my LHBS I used to use NB exclusively. Right before the Inbev deal, I tried Morebeer and have been using them ever since. I can order on a Wednesday and have it here in ATL by Friday. Just yesterday I got a NB catalog in the mail and for the first time ever, I tossed it in the recycling bin without even cracking it open. I try to use my favorite local, Operation Homebrew, as much as possible. But it's a traffic nightmare getting there from my house or from work. 22 miles from work and at least 45 mins. to get there.  >:(
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2017, 09:12:31 am »
I've always ordered online from Rebel for the convince. Only thing I would pickup was grain. I'm going all local from now on. It is also in a PIA location for me. Everyone in that business is feeling the squeeze. Hope every purchase local helps him stay around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Rebel Brewer Closing Retail and Warehouse
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2017, 07:24:37 am »
I may have located a suitable substitute: Great Fermentations out of Indiana. They have a pretty good looking lineup of ingredients including a local maltster  (Sugar Creek) using locally grown grains. I ordered ingredients for a Patersbier Thurs flat rate. It shipped the same day via FedEx and arrived this AM. If the wx holds I may brew this evening to fill an empty fermenter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 07:35:34 am by BrewBama »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2017, 07:30:40 am »
I may have located a suitable substitute: Great Fermentations out of Indiana. They have a pretty good looking lineup of ingredients including a local Maltster  (Sugar Creek) using locally grown grains. I ordered ingredients for a Patersbier Thurs flat rate. It shipped the same day via FedEx and arrived this AM. If the wx holds I may brew this evening to fill an empty fermenter.

Yep, that's my LHBS. Great shop, been there a long time.
Jon H.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2017, 05:40:16 am »
They too were the drop for first round NHC. I used to always drop at Rebel. I knew something was up when they were not a first round spot. GF is a great shop. I wish they were my local. I want to try the Sugar Creek. Sugar Creek was out of stock when I dropped my entries.

Jeff B

Offline BrewBama

Rebel Brewer Closing Retail and Warehouse
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2017, 05:29:47 am »
Just found another reason I like GF besides fast flat rate shipping and pretty good ingredients selection: they sell in increments of a pound.

My planned watermelon wheat calls for 4.5 lb of wheat and 4.5 lb of Pils. I could have rounded up and bought local but I'd still have to source the yeast the local doesn't carry. GF had what I wanted.

It always bugged me why the local shop can't sell me increments of a pound when they are measuring out my grain bill. ...why I can get an increment but have to pay by the full pound.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 10:20:22 am by BrewBama »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2017, 07:47:50 am »
It always bugged me why the local shop can't sell me increments of a pound when they are measuring out my grain bill. ...why I can get an increment but have to pay by the full pound.
That may be fine when you're at a low enough volume where you weigh to order, but if you're chugging through inventory then it would be way more efficient to break a whole sack down into 1#/5#/10# increments at once.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2017, 03:52:43 pm »
That may be fine when you're at a low enough volume where you weigh to order, but if you're chugging through inventory then it would be way more efficient to break a whole sack down into 1#/5#/10# increments at once.

My LHBS weights each order out. I would not categorize their operation as 'chugging thru inventory'. It's more like 'slog thru inventory'. LOL