Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Essential German hops  (Read 6149 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Essential German hops
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2017, 03:16:52 pm »
This is slightly tangental, but I got some KILLER Sterling from Hop Heaven this year, with a strong Saaz like character. My last couple of lagers have really stood out because of that hop flavor.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I have them growing in my backyard and they make a great pilsner. Some batches I add some saaz as a dry hop and some I use only sterlings. Two weeks ago I brewed a three gallon batch of imperial pilsner with 7 ounces of sterlings that I plan to dry hop with saaz; maybe wakatu.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 07:52:37 am »
This is slightly tangental, but I got some KILLER Sterling from Hop Heaven this year, with a strong Saaz like character. My last couple of lagers have really stood out because of that hop flavor.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I have them growing in my backyard and they make a great pilsner. Some batches I add some saaz as a dry hop and some I use only sterlings. Two weeks ago I brewed a three gallon batch of imperial pilsner with 7 ounces of sterlings that I plan to dry hop with saaz; maybe wakatu.
My homegrown Sterling (and many commercial ones I've gotten) can get kind of lemonadey as a late hop. This particular batch leans a lot more towards that classic Saaz character then the citrus when used late.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 09:39:19 am »
My experience with sterling is similar, a slight citrus vibe.  Works great say in a saison or am wheats but not risking it in my german stuff.  I had some REALLY good experience with santiam!  Next pils will prolly be 50/50 santiam/saphir.  I personally think the germans blend a few hops so that the character is very complex.  I did a few one hop pils and so far my opinion is hallerau is too floral and saaz kinda metallic tasting alone.  Kinda funny, just picked up 4 can of bitburger and the sauergut flavor oh so obvious now.  Almost tasted like sour beer!   
Sam
Sandusky, OH

The Beerery

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 09:41:54 am »
  Kinda funny, just picked up 4 can of bitburger and the sauergut flavor oh so obvious now.  Almost tasted like sour beer!

Sauergut is everrrrrrywhere!  :P

Bit is a single bittering addition with a single hop, just FYI.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2017, 09:52:10 am »

Makes sense.  Twas not much hop character at all.  You sure only one type?  I think some breweries are sneaky when they say "from Hallertauer region".  That could be anything grown there, Hattertauer NB, etc... 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

The Beerery

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2017, 09:53:46 am »

Makes sense.  Twas not much hop character at all.  You sure only one type?  I think some breweries are sneaky when they say "from Hallertauer region".  That could be anything grown there, Hattertauer NB, etc...

100% sure. I have the recipe from the brewmaster.