Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer for curry?  (Read 4955 times)

Offline sb1020

• 1st Kit
Beer for curry?
« on: May 20, 2017, 04:51:21 pm »
I come from a mixed south asian/bavarian (only in america) household. I'd say I spent about half of my life over there, and beer was never popular. People prefer whiskey or homemade liquor, like moonshine but made with sugarcane. As a result of my family and time spent there I have a love for curry and other relatively spicy foods, but I haven't found a really great beer to go with those dishes. To be honest, the best beer I've paired with curry has been coors light.

Do you all have any favorite beers for curry/ spicy fare?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Beer for curry?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 04:57:27 pm »
Dry lagers

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 05:40:42 pm »
Yeah, a drinkable adjunct lager is best for me with curries. A lot of pairing 'experts' suggest hoppy beers with spicy foods, and I often do that. But with curries, there is so much going on in terms of spices and flavors that  a beer that's too hoppy can cover up those flavors IMO. My $0.02.
Jon H.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 05:57:21 pm »
Belgians?  The high carbonation should cut throught the food and the natural spiciness should play well with the curry.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 07:47:57 am »
+3 for lagers. Something clean and crisp.  Personally I'd probably pair it with one of the Asian rice lagers, like Asahi, Sapparo, etc.  I like those beers and they go great with food. Super clean and crisp.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 10:49:04 am »
Dry lagers are the normal choice. Light, doesn't clash with the flavor and cuts the heat.

Hefeweizen might be an interesting choice. The banana and clove would work around a lot of the far south Asian cuisine like Malaysian and southern Thai. It might be too filling with a rich curry though. I like the idea of a lighter Belgian--either a tripel or a 4-6% blonde. Some of the same flavors but a lighter body.

There's an Asian restaurant nearby that is mostly Thai and Vietnamese and has a small brewery in the back that is basically a very nice homebrew setup. They do a rice lager but otherwise produce most of the typical craft styles. No real reason why you can't pair a fruity IPA with a red curry or a stout with a fish sauce marinaded steak. They are complimentary flavors.

Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 06:38:27 pm »
IPA, preferably a big bold one.

Assuming the curry is good and fiery. The bitterness of the IPA and the heat of the chili peppers kinda counteract each other, and you'll notice flavors in both that were buried under the bitterness/heat.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 08:33:38 am »
I usually get a kingfisher, a lager, when I go to Indian restaurants and it goes well. IMO IPA's don't go well with any food that you want to have normally functioning taste buds and aroma receptors for. Also, any beer 6%abv  tends to be too filling for me with food.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 08:36:38 am »
I usually get a kingfisher, a lager, when I go to Indian restaurants and it goes well. IMO IPA's don't go well with any food that you want to have normally functioning taste buds and aroma receptors for. Also, any beer 6%abv  tends to be too filling for me with food.

I agree, Pete. IPA with buffalo wings, sure. But curries are a different ballgame for me. Each his own though.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 08:40:14 am »

Assuming the curry is good and fiery. The bitterness of the IPA and the heat of the chili peppers kinda counteract each other, and you'll notice flavors in both that were buried under the bitterness/heat.

I have heard this sentiment from lots of experienced tasters as well, unfortunately for me it hasn't worked out that way. The more hoppy the beer the more it seems to intensify the heat for me, and if a food is too spicy then I start to find I can't pick out the other flavors as well. That said, while I love spicy food I am not a "native spice" guy. Obviously it's different from pallet to pallet.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 08:56:01 am »
Vegetarian Curry - ESB
Chicken Curry -  I like Pacifico Light or Heineken
Beef or lamb curry - Ballast Point Sculpin IPAs

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 12:16:14 pm »
I go the kingfisher route as well. I tend to go with same-nationality beers when eating ethnic food. It just makes it more authentic for me, even if there may be better beer options available. I drink Kirin Ichiban with sushi, Zywiec with kielbasa & pierogies, Negra Modelo with Mexican, Warsteiner Dunkel with schnitzel, etc.

That said, I also think a pale lager in general is a good choice for most spicier, full-flavored food. It is a good palate cleanser, and a light grain character is a nice complement without getting in the way.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 06:40:55 pm »
FWIW, I was referring to Thai curries, or the 11+ on the heat scale Indian curries. (Our local Indian restaurant goes to "30 on a scale of 10", if they deem you worthy)

For a more normal level of heat, I'd also recommend a good lager.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 04:38:57 am »
Lager or IPA.  Shouldn't have looked at this topic, now I want a balti.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 10:58:06 pm »
I really like Vienna/Marzen/Oktoberfest with spicy food. Irish Red, too.
A hoppy blonde (not bitter, but lots of hop flavor/aroma) is good, too. 
I'm not a big fan of bitterness with heat.  They tend to clash, IMO.

Oh, and a clean Baltic Porter or Schwarzbier can pair well, too.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge