Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Who owns your beer?  (Read 9108 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Who owns your beer?
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2017, 03:38:29 pm »
https://www.brewersassociation.org/press-releases/brewers-association-launches-new-seal-to-designate-independent-beers/

We interview Bob Pease of the BA about this on the podcast coming out next Wed. 7/5

Awesome.  I was hoping that the BA would do a label ID like this.  Hopefully brewers will get on board with it.

I am probably in the minority, but I think it sucks. After reading it is understandable why the bottle is upside down, but how many people are going to take the time to read about it. It depicts a negative IMO with the bottle position. Kinda like the old Olympia label with the Good Luck horseshoe with all the luck spilling out.

It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2017, 04:35:26 pm »
A big part of this problem lies in how much in bed the distributors are with the big breweries.  A few friends changed to a self-distribution model. They are more profitable now, because they don't have the distributors holding their beers back.  Luckily, they can do it that way in this state.  Lots of states that is illegal.

In Wisconsin the Tavern league and Beer Distributors are try to sneak into a budget bill to eliminate self distribution. Even a brewery's tap house would have to buy its beer back from a distributor. This is an effective way to eliminate the small breweries in Wisconsin, especially if you make under 10,000 barrels a year. Most beer distributors in Wisconsin carry one of the big beer brands coincidence?

Yes I do own a tinfoil hat and a brewery.

This, in a nutshell, is the problem IMO. I'm all for free enterprise, smart business practices - really. Predatory business practices, not as much. Each his own.   
Jon H.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2017, 05:44:57 pm »
    FWIW Mr. Monk, I can no longer buy any Red Hook beers locally, can't get Ruthless rye, can only buy Torpedo if I buy a 12 pack with 9 beers I won't drink, can only buy Hop Nosh if the wind is blowing just right, and I could go on and on. What happened to all those beers that used to be available in my tiny little anthill at the furthest outpost of BFE? They've been replaced by stuff like Ballast Point and other Macro vassals, these may be great beers but I'll be damned if I'll by any of them. Those of you residing near the coasts, whether east, west or south, may still have access to most of what you'd like, but many of us living in the 85% of the American landmass know derisively by many a "fly over country" have lost that access. Here in my town we do have a better than we probably deserve liquor store, the owner tries to keep what we want, but in the end he can only stock what the distributors will let him have. I too am a firm believer in letting the market forces make the decisions about what will be available to customers, but only when the playing field is level. I don't think any sane, honest person could seriously argue that is the case.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2017, 09:09:02 am »
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2017, 03:01:21 pm »

You don't think this is a bit of paranoia? Craft beer will NEVER be a majority in the market. I can see the larger companies buying out contenders that pose a threat, but let's face it, breweries who could pose a threat to the macros are so big that brand identity and marketing were in their repertoire from the beginning. The old, "made and groomed to be sold" adage.

I guess until the beers I enjoy are removed from my local supply chain I won't understand why this is a big deal for me. If that happens I'll just have to take a road trip to the 4.6 million local breweries around me, or god forbid, travel to Maine to Allagash (insert any other northeast state and brewery here)....what a pity!

I realize you were exaggerating, but there are 5300 breweries in the US.  The problem with your theory is that there will be far fewer when they can't find tap or shelf space to sell their beer becasue it's been taken over by the macros.

Is that necessarily a bad thing? How is it different than any other business? Stay regional if you don't want to wage marketing warfare against your competition. It's cutthroat but it's business.

Like Visor said above, my only complaint is that diversity decreases. I want to be able to get something local, which is possible in Peoria (Although it's not always great). When you're travelling or eating with other people, you can't always choose to go to the place with the good beer. Yes, it's part of business. It's not a part I have to encourage with my dollars. I like the website, I like the new label, I'm looking forward to not have to rack my brain every time I buy a beer.

Offline gregrippin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2017, 11:16:12 am »
There is a very good blurb in Beer Advocate this month about how crafty brands are bad for lovers of craft beer.   The TLDR is that carrying crafty brands allows businesses to have the appearance of offering a lot of options, while actually working to lock out truly craft breweries.

The argument about the virtues of capitalism aside, and ignoring for the moment the very shady / potentially illegal business practices going on in some parts of the industry, the truth is that Corporate Beer is using crafty brands as a way to limit the beer options available to consumers.

Offline Nathan

• Cellarman
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2017, 03:40:56 pm »
I like it. Nice for travelling although asking a bartender what's local works too
Perhaps catergorizing beers as " innovator  " or "imitator" would be better phrasing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2017, 04:34:56 pm »
I like it. Nice for travelling although asking a bartender what's local works too
Perhaps catergorizing beers as " innovator  " or "imitator" would be better phrasing

Although local doesn't necessarily mean independent. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Big Monk

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2017, 05:22:05 pm »

That's not accurate. The macros are plenty innovative.

Offline Nathan

• Cellarman
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2017, 05:32:59 pm »
I don't know how old you are but I started drinking beer in the mid eighties and all the Macro s were innovating was advertising campaigns to convince us to drink thin bland swill
The main reason I started brewing was that I couldn't easily find beer that I liked
I've spent 30 plus years perfecting my craft and educating my friends about what is possible with beer and brewing
That is why I choose not to support the Molsons/Coors Annhieser Busch type brewers

Offline Nathan

• Cellarman
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2017, 05:35:26 pm »
Not to mention that local breweries employ local people and contribute to their communities more than the Macro s

Big Monk

Who owns your beer?
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2017, 06:01:50 pm »
I don't know how old you are but I started drinking beer in the mid eighties and all the Macro s were innovating was advertising campaigns to convince us to drink thin bland swill
The main reason I started brewing was that I couldn't easily find beer that I liked
I've spent 30 plus years perfecting my craft and educating my friends about what is possible with beer and brewing
That is why I choose not to support the Molsons/Coors Annhieser Busch type brewers

You're thinking about this the wrong way. Without the technological innovations of big beer, there wouldn't be a craft brewing industry.

That's all I meant. There isn't any terrible innovative about the craft beer industry. Creative? Yes. Innovative? Maybe.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 06:05:38 pm by Big Monk »

Offline Nathan

• Cellarman
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2017, 06:04:20 pm »
Given enough time I can make great beer with a wood stove and a wooden mash tun

Big Monk

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2017, 06:06:33 pm »
Given enough time I can make great beer with a wood stove and a wooden mash tun

I doubt it but it would be interesting to watch!