Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: high F.G.  (Read 2925 times)

Offline boris4

• 1st Kit
high F.G.
« on: May 23, 2017, 09:52:54 am »
my last 3 beers have been big beers with an O.G. of about 1.095.  I am starting with around 18 lbs of maris otter base malt and 5-7 pounds of other grain.  my strike water is at 165 which gets me to about 132 and I then heat it to 148-152.  I sparge at 170 F. I boil for 60-90 minutes.  I either pitch 2 vials of liquid yeast or have a 2500ml starter ready.  all 3 beers have stopped at about 1.045-1.035.  this has never been an issue before.  I have checked the calibration on my thermometers and I am using a refractometer that reads brix/gravity and it is calibrated.  Any ideas out there?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: high F.G.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 10:03:26 am »
Are you using a calculator to convert the post ferm gravity?

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 10:08:38 am »
Like Stevie asked, your refractometer gets thrown off in the presence of alcohol and the reading needs to be adjusted to get the correct FG.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline boris4

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 10:55:32 am »
no  I just got the refractometer.  what is the process to properly calculate it if you don't mind me asking

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 11:11:38 am »

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 11:13:47 am »
I suspect, and I think Sean has mentioned as well, that the accuracy of this calculator starts to fall off on higher gravity beers. I still use it and a refractometer for all my readings because I don't really care what teh F.G. actually is so much as that I have reached it, unless I really want to know the actual ABV. then I use a hydrometer instead for F.G.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 11:15:22 am »
Use Sean Terrill's calculator linked above, and you'll get the right answers.

Also, just curious, what yeast are you fermenting with?
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline boris4

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 06:57:05 am »
I am using California ale yeast, wheat yeast and thames valley yeast.  all from white labs.  I used the calculator and it still at 1.031 then  I have a starter going of super high gravity yeast from white labs and I hope that will ferment down to a proper FG

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 07:28:01 am »
Before you add any other yeast, use that link above for the Sean Terrill calculator.  You HAVE to.  The refractometer does NOT REPORT FINAL GRAVITY PROPERLY in presence of alcohol!  It reads much higher than it should with alcohol in there.  You need to use the calculator to know what the final gravity REALLY is.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline boris4

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 09:08:28 am »
I did use the calculator and it says my gravity is still around 1.030.  I tried a sample and there is a lot of residual sugars in there. normally I have had no problem fermenting down to 1.012 for a big beer like this

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 09:22:31 am »
Oops, missed that.  Alright, add more yeast and hope for the best.
Dave

Offline boris4

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 11:11:18 am »
and my apologies I was wrong with my final gravity reading.  it was actually around 10 brix not 14 like I thought.  so using the calculator its actually down to 1.008 or so.  so thanx for all your help guys.  now I have a yeast starter going, hmmm what should I do with it?  I will brew this weekend!!

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 11:39:28 am »
Ha ha ha.... perfect excuse to brew some more!  :D
Dave