Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Filling Dead Space in a Barrel  (Read 3865 times)

Offline WattsOnTap

• Cellarman
  • Maryland (The People's Republic of)
Filling Dead Space in a Barrel
« on: May 23, 2017, 01:28:17 pm »
Just picked up one of the 8 gal barrels from Woodinville Whiskey.  Probably a bit ambitious on my part, as I'm not currently brewing beer batches greater than 6.5 gallons, and fermenting my first 10 gallon mead batch this week (well, probably 8 gal when it comes off the fruit and yeast).

I picked up a practice from wine makers of filling carboy deadspace with glass beads or marbles when working with smaller batches.  I was wondering if the same principle could be used when not completely filling a barrel for aging, and could this method also be used to replace volume lost to the "angel's share" for longer term?

jrdatta

Re: Filling Dead Space in a Barrel
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 01:55:55 pm »
As long as you use good sanitization procedure with the marbles it is a pretty brilliant idea. 

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 01:56:38 pm »
Yep

Offline jweiss206

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 03:18:43 pm »
I was in the same boat. I've filled my Woodinville Barrel three times now. Twice I brewed back to back batches to get the necessary volume and for the third I brewed a really high gravity 5.5 porter (1.120) and topped it off to reach eight gallons (1.075ish). Never heard of this bead concept. Interesting..