Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I finally figured out my OG measurment problem  (Read 5224 times)

Offline tesla_hv

• Cellarman
  • Captain Conundrum
I finally figured out my OG measurment problem
« on: November 09, 2009, 02:44:03 pm »
Lately I have come up consistently with low OG readings.  I do partial boil so it seemed logical that it was a poor mixture problem with the wort and the added water and I was right.  I thought that I was mixing the wort/water up enough but yesterday, as I was getting ready to take a gravity sample, I noticed that the wort at the bottom was slightly warmer than that at the top.  After doing a lot more agitating, I took a gravity sample and it was consistent with the expected value.  I now have a new agitation method that seems to work better.
Yeast Starters: none
Primary: Piney the Conifer
Secondary: Pliny the Elder, Scottish Wee Heavy
Bottled: Undead-Guy Ale, Habanero IPA, Belgian Tripel IPA, Blind Pig, "Island Zombie" Ale, Apple/Rasp Hard Cider

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: I finally figured out my OG measurment problem
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 02:47:46 pm »
You might look into getting a MixStir.  Not only will it thoroughly mix your wort and top off water, it does a killer job of aeration as it mixes!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tesla_hv

• Cellarman
  • Captain Conundrum
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 03:03:32 pm »
MixStir?  I've never heard of this.  I'll have to look it up.
Bottled: Undead-Guy Ale, Habanero IPA, Belgian Tripel IPA, Blind Pig, "Island Zombie" Ale, Apple/Rasp Hard Cider

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 03:09:30 pm »
Like this....http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=6040 . Fits in a drill.  Usually under $20.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tesla_hv

• Cellarman
  • Captain Conundrum
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 03:11:40 pm »
Thanks for the link Denny.  The two places that I shop at (they ship to APO addresses) do not carry them.  I take it that the two 'wings' will collapse enough to fit through the bung of a carboy.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 03:25:28 pm »
Thanks for the link Denny.  The two places that I shop at (they ship to APO addresses) do not carry them.  I take it that the two 'wings' will collapse enough to fit through the bung of a carboy.

Yeah, the wings collapse to fit in the carboy, then spread due to centrifugal forced when it spins.  Bummer that your regular retailers don't carry them.  Maybe you can find something comparable somewhere.  If you ferment in buckets, you can even use a paint mixer!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 06:45:11 pm »
I use a plastic coat hanger. Take the long bottom and cut it into a 'J'. Fits carboys and buckets and makes up some killer froth on top. Plus, it's cheap and easy!
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 06:39:12 am »
My "wine whip" (also called a "degasser") does double duty for wine and beer.

If the places you shop sell wine then I'm sure they'll have one of these.

Offline slimsparty

• Assistant Brewer
  • 1882 Brewery
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 09:58:53 am »
I traced my OG reading problems back to excessive consumption on the brew floor.  ;)

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 10:17:54 am »
I traced my OG reading problems back to excessive consumption on the brew floor.  ;)

Well, yeah, there's that, too!   :D

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 10:50:26 am »
I use a plastic coat hanger. Take the long bottom and cut it into a 'J'. Fits carboys and buckets and makes up some killer froth on top. Plus, it's cheap and easy!

Why oh why didn't I think of that. I spent hours trying to bend one of those plastic rods that open and close blinds with a hair dryer to do the same thing ::)
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

brewboy

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 12:54:47 pm »
Get a pump and shoot it into your fermenter. It works so well , that I usually have to stop and let the foam subside before I can get all of the wort into it.