Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Can't Decide on Hop Bill – Need Help  (Read 2134 times)

Offline MarvinSwordenski

• 1st Kit
Can't Decide on Hop Bill – Need Help
« on: May 24, 2017, 02:03:28 pm »
We're finishing up a bag of grain and hops and have put together a grain bill that will split the left over grain in half and produce an APA recipe to support a medium hop bill. One half is already planned but need help for the last batch. Maybe an IBU in the low 40's.
After reading so much about hop pairings we're frustrated and looking for help from you with experience in combining what hops we have.

5 gallon batch – 60 minute boil
OG – 1.054
US-05 Yeast Harvest

Grain Bill:

8# - 2 Row
.75#-Vienna
.75#-C40
.25#-C60

Hops on Hand:

Apollo – 18.5% - 1oz
Centennial – 12% - 1oz
Cascade – 6.9% - 2oz
Warrior – 15% - .5oz
Citra – 8.3% - 1oz
Mosaic – 11% - 1oz
Willamette – 4.8% - 2oz
Amarillo – 7.7% - 1oz
Simcoe – 13% - 2oz

Some of us like the idea of a Simcoe, Mosaic, Citra blend. I like the idea of a Amarillo, Simcoe blend bittering with the Warrior. We've read of cattyness from bittering with Simcoe. Would like a smooth bittering with loaded finishing and dry hop aromas so most of the "glamour hops" for late additions.

Any help is appreciated.  8)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 02:08:57 pm by MarvinSwordenski »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Can't Decide on Hop Bill – Need Help
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 02:21:34 pm »
I have never gotten cattiness from bittering with Simcoe.  That said, I prefer it for later additions.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 02:41:44 pm »
I'd bitter with Warrior and use the Simcoe, Mosaic, Citra combo late.

Offline MarvinSwordenski

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 03:59:08 pm »
I have never gotten cattiness from bittering with Simcoe.  That said, I prefer it for later additions.

Thanks Denny.
I've found quite a bit of a garlic or onion off flavor from Simcoe bittering comments to pay attention.
Just some interesting reading....
Fat Head's Brewmaster Matt Cole
"Early and late harvest Simcoe differ greatly. Early harvest Simcoe (late August) has an abundance of tropical fruits and less pine. Later harvest Simcoe has more pine and catty/dank like character. Later harvest Simcoe also picks up garlic and onion notes. At Fat Heads Brewery we prefer a blend of late and early harvest Simcoe.”

What are your suggestions based on your experience with combos with our hop supplies?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 04:19:28 pm »
MarvinS - Lots of options there. Being an APA, I agree with Steve's advice to bitter with the Warrior. I like its smoother bitterness in APA (where I bitter AIPA with Columbus or Chinook for more assertive bitterness). The two blends you mentioned are both great. Can't go wrong with either. Cascade or Centennial could be blended seamlessly into either of those blends. I've made several pale ales with Cascade, Centennial, and Amarillo late - old school but really good. And Mosaic/Simcoe alone works really well, too. I don't think you'll go wrong whatever you do, but I'd personally leave the Apollo out here - it's assertive in bitterness and when used late (it can be good in IPA). Let us know how it comes out!

Jon H.

Offline MarvinSwordenski

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 05:17:43 pm »
I'd personally leave the Apollo out here - it's assertive in bitterness and when used late

No Kidding!
We've finished about three batches using Apollo as FWH and every one has a specific bite to them directly pointing back to the Apollo. We used it with  ::) uh... budget in mind because it was 18% and we used 1/4oz in the batches. Lesson learned.
Thanks for your advise.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 01:46:53 pm »
I like Centennial, Citra, Willamette, and Amarillo

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 11:29:57 am »
Simcoe-Amarillo-Citra at flameout. Open your Apollo and take a deep whiff. If it smells like tangerine and/or cannabis, add it at flameout with the others and bitter with Warrior. If it doesn't smell like much, or just like grass, then bitter with that.

Apollo has been a bit of an enigma for me as far as hops go. I've had some amazing hops that have a great tangerine character with a touch of dank, but more typically they seem to be very mild in flavor. Either way, I like it a lot for bittering.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer