Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Saison recipe for kettle sour  (Read 3168 times)

Offline mindbender

• 1st Kit
Saison recipe for kettle sour
« on: May 14, 2017, 11:29:59 am »
Just looking for some thoughts on a recipe I put together. Wanting to do a kettle soured tart saison.  I had done a Golden Promise smash beer a few years back and liked what the malt added.  With that looking to use use some random smaller amount of what I have on hand.  So, kettle souring aside this is what I had in mind:

5.5gal batch

7.5lbs Golden Promise
11 oz. Munich I
10 oz. Flaked Wheat
7 oz. Demerara sugar
.25 oz Magnum @ 60 min
.5 oz Amarillo @ 20 min
.5 oz Amarillo @ 5 min
1 oz Nelson Sauvin @ flameout
WY3711

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
Re: Saison recipe for kettle sour
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 07:31:45 am »
Looks fine to me, sounds interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline Grod 31

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 06:39:13 pm »
can you share your plans for the kettle souring part.
temp/how long /what will you knock it up wirth what are your IBUs?

Offline mindbender

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 10:29:58 am »
Hi Grod. I did brew this 2 weeks back turned out nice. Brightly tart and dry. In retrospect I wish I would have fermented a bit higher because some of the spicy character of the yeast gets lost in the acidity. I have it sitting on 2 ounces of Nelson dry hop right now. I'll be serving it at homebrewcon at the Thursday afternoon session if anyone cares to give it a try. :)

My kettle sour process: Mashed grains as normal. Boil the wort un-hopped for 20 minutes then chill to 95F. Pre-acidify the wort to 4.3 pH with a combination of phosphoric and lactic acid. Pitch 6 fl. oz of mango good belly. Cover the kettle and push CO2 for roughly a minute through the valve to drive off oxygen. Apply a fermwrap to the size of the kettle. Soured for 36 hours and my pH had dropped to 3.2. Re-boil for standard 60 minutes following the recipe as written (the sugar was added at this point with 10 minutes left).