Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottle sterilization question  (Read 8776 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Bottle sterilization question
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 04:37:43 pm »
I did not go to this.  A friend did and said it was good.  He told me that he always bakes his competition bottles in the oven.  The bugs and critters can't hide form the heat.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/4962/Bottle_Conditioning_Like_a_Pro-Jennifer_Helber.pdf
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 04:43:41 pm »
I like to soak my bottles in 5 gallons water mixed with 2-3 ounces of bleach for 15 minutes, then rinse thoroughly with my bottle washer and hot water. 
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 08:35:34 pm »
I did not go to this.  A friend did and said it was good.  He told me that he always bakes his competition bottles in the oven.  The bugs and critters can't hide form the heat.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/4962/Bottle_Conditioning_Like_a_Pro-Jennifer_Helber.pdf

I read that today it was interesting. I would love to hear the presentation that went along with the power point. I think i might try this for my next bottling! one less thing to do the day of bottling.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline johnnymc

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 05:23:46 pm »
If using Star San should you allow it to dry brfore filling the bottle?

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2011, 05:37:02 pm »
If using Star San should you allow it to dry brfore filling the bottle?

No need to let it dry.  Starsan is effective at low pH, best under a pH of 3.  Beer is in the 4.5 pH range and so will deactivate the starsan when you fill it.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline johnnymc

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2011, 11:33:33 am »
Thanks for the answer (and sorry for the long reply). I can cross this issue off my list. I've been having some issues with my last few batches.They taste fine when sampling them during the final gravity reading before adding the priming sugar and bottling. But, I'm getting a slight chemical after taste 2-weeks later after the bottle fermintation period. Any suggestions?

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2011, 12:10:00 pm »
I like to soak my bottles in 5 gallons water mixed with 2-3 ounces of bleach for 15 minutes, then rinse thoroughly with my bottle washer and hot water. 

Unless your water is really hot - 150f+ - rinsing undoes the sanitizing. Best to leave bleach for washing clothes. Starsan is better and very cheap.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2011, 12:44:05 pm »
I read that today it was interesting. I would love to hear the presentation that went along with the power point. I think i might try this for my next bottling! one less thing to do the day of bottling.

I heard the presentation and sadly it wasn't all that great IMO.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 12:23:45 am »
Thanks for the answer (and sorry for the long reply). I can cross this issue off my list. I've been having some issues with my last few batches.They taste fine when sampling them during the final gravity reading before adding the priming sugar and bottling. But, I'm getting a slight chemical after taste 2-weeks later after the bottle fermintation period. Any suggestions?
Are you 100% sure that your bottling equipment is clean and sanitized?  If it tastes fine before bottling, and all of the bottles taste bad after, I'd be inclined to think you've got some kind of contamination between the fermenter and the bottle.  Either a cracked hose, a crevice in your bottling bucket or spigot, those are the usual suspects.  I'd examine the process, find potential sources of contamination, and address them.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline johnnymc

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2011, 10:26:19 am »
thanks for th tip....I will check these things out.

Offline bheem

• 1st Kit
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2017, 10:30:13 am »
Hey, first post!  Just found the site today.

I always clean my bottles with Five Star PWB granules.  Is it necessary to sterilize them?  I always do before bottling, but with freshly cleaned bottles, I'm wondering if the beer itself isn't sterilization enough?  The biggest drawback to homebrewing is all the cleaning and sterilizing.

Just adding information in case others see it. Bottles would do better if boiled in water for an hour. Boiling is one of the best sterilization-methods for bottles and metallic utensils.

https://www.studyread.com/what-is-sterilization-methods

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2017, 12:34:10 pm »
Hey, first post!  Just found the site today.

I always clean my bottles with Five Star PWB granules.  Is it necessary to sterilize them?  I always do before bottling, but with freshly cleaned bottles, I'm wondering if the beer itself isn't sterilization enough?  The biggest drawback to homebrewing is all the cleaning and sterilizing.

Just adding information in case others see it. Bottles would do better if boiled in water for an hour. Boiling is one of the best sterilization-methods for bottles and metallic utensils.

https://www.studyread.com/what-is-sterilization-methods

Not so sure normal local homebrew shop bottles can withstand boiling.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2017, 12:56:12 pm »
I like the oven method - get them completely visibly clean and dry, wrap the ends in foil, place in the oven first, turn on oven to 350F and then turn it off after 60 mins. Let the bottles cool all night in the oven.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2017, 01:01:41 pm »
I don't feel the need to sterilize bottles.  Sanitizing is good enough.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell