Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Understanding Diastatic power  (Read 6588 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Understanding Diastatic power
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 12:12:25 pm »
I really don't think it's an oxidation issue.  I have never had issues with oxidation and this flavor shows up across all my beers containing Munich...ales and lagers.

Who makes the Munich?  What color is it?

Most often Best Malz, Dark and regular Munich.

OK, that's what I usually use, too.  I can't say that I've had issues with either conversion or flavor with it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2017, 12:15:06 pm »
Could you provide an example recipe that you are experiencing this problem with?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline ANDREW.GROGAN1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2017, 01:30:11 pm »
Could you provide an example recipe that you are experiencing this problem with?

Recipe: Vienna
Brewer: Andrew
Asst Brewer:
Style: Vienna Lager
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 13.71 gal
Post Boil Volume: 11.46 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.50 gal   
Bottling Volume: 10.10 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 9.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.4 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt               Name                              Type        #       %/IBU       
12 lbs 8.0 oz     Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM) Grain       1       59.5 %     
4 lbs 8.0 oz      Pilsen Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.0 S Grain       2       21.4 %     
2 lbs 8.0 oz      Munich Dark (BestMälz) (12.7 SRM) Grain       3       11.9 %     
1 lbs 8.0 oz      Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0  Grain       4       7.1 %       
2.00 oz           Hallertau [4.30 %] - Boil 60.0 mi Hop         5       19.3 IBUs   
2.00 oz           Tettnang, U.S. [6.40 %] - Boil 10 Hop         6       5.7 IBUs   
1.0 pkg           Saflager Lager (DCL/Fermentis #W- Yeast       7       -           

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 21 lbs
----------------------------
Name                  Description                           Step Temperature      Step Time   
Mash In               Add 6.96 gal of water at 163.0 F      152.0 F               60 min     

Sparge: Fly sparge with 9.67 gal water at 170.0 F
Notes:
------

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2017, 01:47:21 pm »
Is that only 1 packet of dry yeast for this 10 gallon batch?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline ANDREW.GROGAN1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2017, 01:57:30 pm »
Is that only 1 packet of dry yeast for this 10 gallon batch?

No.  Should have said this before.  This was a split  batch with a buddy.  One packet of dry yeast for 5 gallons.  I did a starter as well. 

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2017, 02:01:17 pm »
and what was the FG?

That's a large amount of crystal malt for a lager in my opinion. I personally rarely put crystal malt in a lager unless it is a very small amount. It could be the combination of the munich flavor and the crystal malt that you don't like. Maybe switch it up to light munich and less or no crystal to see how you like that?

Just a thought. Not meaning to derail.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 02:05:21 pm by goschman »

Offline ANDREW.GROGAN1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2017, 02:06:39 pm »
and what was the FG?

That's a large amount of crystal malt for a lager in my opinion. I personally rarely put crystal malt in a lager unless it is a very small amount. It could be the combination of the munich flavor and the crystal malt that you don't like. Maybe switch it up to light munich and less or no crystal to see how you like that?

FG was 1.010.  And 7% too much?

I get this flavor in all my Munich beers.  It's not isolated to just this one. 

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2017, 02:08:26 pm »
and what was the FG?

Again that's just my opinion. At least FG is not the issue.

Do your other munich beers contain crystal? Have you ever brewed a 100% munich beer?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 02:12:46 pm by goschman »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2017, 02:29:17 pm »
and what was the FG?

Maybe, maybe not.  And either way, it's not enough to have a drastic affect on fermentability.  I use more than that for IPA and APA and it doesn't affect attenuation much if at all.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2017, 02:29:43 pm »
and what was the FG?

Not IMO

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2017, 02:30:20 pm »
and what was the FG?

Again that's just my opinion. At least FG is not the issue.

Do your other munich beers contain crystal? Have you ever brewed a 100% munich beer?

Excellent question.

www.dennybrew.com

The Beerery

Understanding Diastatic power
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2017, 02:49:42 pm »
Let me ask you this.  What beers that have Munich commercially do you love?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2017, 03:15:04 pm »
and what was the FG?

Maybe, maybe not.  And either way, it's not enough to have a drastic affect on fermentability.  I use more than that for IPA and APA and it doesn't affect attenuation much if at all.

I was referring to flavor more than fermentability as I wouldn't be worried about that at 7%. Luckily I don't know what I'm talking about. I will go silent.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2017, 03:24:26 pm »

I was referring to flavor more than fermentability as I wouldn't be worried about that at 7%. Luckily I don't know what I'm talking about. I will go silent.

Don't do that!  But it's no more unusual to have crystal in certain lagers than it is in ales.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2017, 03:31:14 pm »

Don't do that!  But it's no more unusual to have crystal in certain lagers than it is in ales.

Sorry! A little defensive after a thread blew up on me earlier. Derail over. Carry on...