Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Light Struck  (Read 5634 times)

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
Re: Light Struck
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2017, 05:49:20 am »
What does block 100%... an aluminum can. (Yes, very difficult for homebrewers but part of the reason why so many craft brewers are switching to cans.

Which is a shame, because most canned craft beer is good and stale pretty fast. Even canned Sierra Nevada beers suffer from staling faster than the bottled versions.

I'm back to buying 100% bottles, only cans I buy are from European breweries.

I know one of the issues with cans is increased dissolved oxygen, since the can top is completely open for the short time between filler and capper (same with bottles, but it's a much smaller opening).  Especially small can lines (we have a 4 head Wild Goose) can really struggle with it.  I think as the industry grows people will get it more dialed in.  We've gotten ours very low (<50 ppb).  A lot of microbreweries don't even check DOs.  Mobile can lines (in my experience both commercial and homebrew) are awful, so the places that are draft only and then do a one off can run I can understand why that wouldn't be very good.

Other than oxidation I can't think of anything that would affect canned beer, is that what you mean by staling?
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline drewer02

• 1st Kit
Re: Light Struck
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2017, 03:03:16 am »
From my personal experience, a 20-minute or so sitting in full sun on the way home in the cab of my pickup resulted in noticeable skunking.

Carrying brown bottles from the shop to the truck/truck to inside in direct sun? No issues.

I think that's kinda the benefit of brown. It'll protect from skunking for the unavoidable parts of transit, but keep it in the shade.

That explains it about brown bottles. Reminds me of buddy's transport truck with blue ox towing to get his bottles delivered on more than an hour travel.