Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Has anyone tried the new (to me anyway) Munich DMEs that are available?  (Read 4581 times)

Offline BrewnWKopperKat

• Cellarman
Background: I'm planning to brew a number of small batches to try out new (to me) hops.  I've seen a couple of base recipes (from the early to mid-2010s) that are roughly 90% light DME & 10% Munich LME.  I've never had good results with LME, but recently, I have seen a couple of online HBS that had Munich DME.  So, back to the original question...

Has anyone tried the new (to me anyway) Munich DMEs that are available?  They typically appear to be 50% base malt and 50% Munich 10L.  Any experiences with how close the flavors match to either a partial mash (or an all grain BIAB)?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
I haven't, but if this is truly available, I'm going to order some ASAP. I brew all my hop trials using Pilsner DME and Munich LME, but a Munich DME would be a hell of a lot easier to work with for 1 gallon batches.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Just looked at the specs for Briess DME...it's 50% pale malt, 50% Bonlander (which is a pretty good Munich malt).  You'd have to take that onto account.

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_PISB_CBWMunichDME.pdf
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Just looked at the specs for Briess DME...it's 50% pale malt, 50% Bonlander (which is a pretty good Munich malt).  You'd have to take that onto account.

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_PISB_CBWMunichDME.pdf

I've always liked their pilsen dme; looking forward to trying this.
I recently brewed an imperial pilsner (3 gallons) with six pounds of the pilsen dme and 12 ounces of sugar. O G was 1.086 and F G was 1.012 after three weeks.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
I just checked Morebeer to see if they had any and they also have vienna DME. My LHBS doesn't have either (and a couple other items I'd like to get that my LHBS also doesn't carry; should be enough to get free shipping) so it may be time to place a Morebeer order.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Not to go too off-tangent, but it looks like Briess has expanded their DME offerings since I've last checked. I also noticed this product, which looks like a DME equivalent to Sinamar:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/maltoferm-a6001-powder-2oz.html
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
I just checked Morebeer to see if they had any and they also have vienna DME. My LHBS doesn't have either (and a couple other items I'd like to get that my LHBS also doesn't carry; should be enough to get free shipping) so it may be time to place a Morebeer order.

I just realized that I've never seen vienna LME anywhere. This could be a big seller for Morebeer.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women