Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Residual Sweetness  (Read 4082 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Residual Sweetness
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 06:49:37 am »
Water profile was Malty Brown.

Before you change your recipe (or not, you do you) try going for the balanced brown or the dry brown and see if that gets rid of the perceived sweetness.

IME using a malty profile doesn't make a beer sweet, it accents maltiness. Two different things to me. I still say dropping the barely fermentable Munton's DME for more two row fixes the issue. Different approaches.
Jon H.

jrdatta

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 07:50:44 am »

Before you change your recipe (or not, you do you) try going for the balanced brown or the dry brown and see if that gets rid of the perceived sweetness.

IME using a malty profile doesn't make a beer sweet, it accents maltiness. Two different things to me. I still say dropping the barely fermentable Munton's DME for more two row fixes the issue. Different approaches.

I would agree with you other than the fact that the OP said the FG was 1.008 so fermentability wasn't an issue.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2017, 07:57:52 am »
And maybe the OP is confusing maltiness for sweetness.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2017, 08:06:53 am »

I would agree with you other than the fact that the OP said the FG was 1.008 so fermentability wasn't an issue.

Yeah, the FG in and of itself isn't an issue. I just remember brewing extract beers where I added sugar to get good attenuation, and many of those beers (with a low FG) seemed sweeter than AG beers. Regardless, no harm in playing with water chemistry.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 08:08:29 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

jrdatta

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2017, 08:33:11 am »

Yeah, the FG in and of itself isn't an issue. I just remember brewing extract beers where I added sugar to get good attenuation, and many of those beers (with a low FG) seemed sweeter than AG beers. Regardless, no harm in playing with water chemistry.

And there is some science-y type stuff that supports that some due to extract make-up (almost all of them have a carapils addition) and the fact that they have already been boiled once and by boiling them again for an hour your are getting more mallard reactions which can sometimes manifest as a sweetness.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2017, 01:18:34 pm »
I think removing the dme from the recipe changes this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 03:41:50 am »
I'll definitely remove the DME the next time I brew this recipe and replace it with the 2-row.  The only reason I used the DME to begin with is that I didn't have enough base malt on hand and didn't want to drive 50 miles roundtrip to get more or order online and wait two days for delivery.

And, next time I brew, I'll try mashing at 150 F vs the 153 F I did this last time.

I will try Martin's suggestion and add a pinch of gypsum to what I have bottled.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2017, 11:46:09 am »
I followed Martin's suggestion and added a pinch of gypsum to the beer,  It did help!

Thanks
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!