Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Micro IPAs  (Read 10661 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: Micro IPAs
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2017, 11:11:21 am »
Yeah I'm not going to say anything more in defense of Hamms...though I'll likely still buy once in a while as a guilty pleasure beer...

Yuengling I will argue in favor of, within reason. Doesn't really deserve some of the cult reputation that it has, but it is a great beer.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

The Beerery

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2017, 11:27:38 am »
Yeah I'm not going to say anything more in defense of Hamms...though I'll likely still buy once in a while as a guilty pleasure beer...

Yuengling I will argue in favor of, within reason. Doesn't really deserve some of the cult reputation that it has, but it is a great beer.

Yuengling is fantastic.

I happen to be local to the US's second oldest brewery (next to Yuengling) Schells. I really love Schells, not only because they have to be schooled in Germany, and have been doing German beer here for a long time, or that they just did a recent upgrade to brewing equipment and now have the signature low oxygen flavor, BUT, they bought the brand Grainbelt premium  https://www.grainbelt.com/ourbeers_info.php?id=10)! This is a regional swill made with 40% corn syrup, and its sweet and glorious! It ranks as my number 1 macro swill. But for me to pick a pick a 2nd or 3rd, it would be like choosing my favorite child. I LOVE macroswill, and LOVE malt liquor. Mickey grenades are a staple in my fridge.... speaking of I wonder what I have in there.. Let me go check :)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2017, 11:28:06 am »

I think their beers are phenomenal, it's a toss up.  I would like to see them push a seasonal brew though in my area.  They just started distribution in Indiana so we can at least get it without a day trip. I am eagerly waiting to taste their seasonal offerings.

Back to IPAs I still appreciate 3floyds, dogfish, founders, Tallgrass, Ballast point, Avery, and bells.  No particular order but in my area we get fairly consistent brews from those breweries.

Zombie dust is an IPA in my opinion, and I enjoy them when I can find them.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 11:38:21 am by JJeffers09 »
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

The Beerery

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2017, 11:33:33 am »

Yuengling is fantastic.

I happen to be local to the US's second oldest brewery (next to Yuengling) Schells. I really love Schells, not only because they have to be schooled in Germany, and have been doing German beer here for a long time, or that they just did a recent upgrade to brewing equipment and now have the signature low oxygen flavor, BUT, they bought the brand Grainbelt premium  https://www.grainbelt.com/ourbeers_info.php?id=10)! This is a regional swill made with 40% corn syrup, and its sweet and glorious! It ranks as my number 1 macro swill. But for me to pick a pick a 2nd or 3rd, it would be like choosing my favorite child. I LOVE macroswill, and LOVE malt liquor. Mickey grenades are a staple in my fridge.... speaking of I wonder what I have in there.. Let me go check :)

And my own beers of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2017, 11:40:48 am »

The current state of my beer fridge...

Usually I keep Yuengling and SNPA on hand. Last time I was at the liquor store the only SNPA they had was bottled back in February, so I didn't buy more...I'm running low...

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2017, 11:41:28 am »

Yuengling is fantastic.

Damnit man, every Time you post a pic I always think to myself one day I want that!

With all of the admiration and jealousy I have to say... "This F*ing guy!"

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member

The Beerery

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2017, 11:42:53 am »

Usually I keep Yuengling and SNPA on hand. Last time I was at the liquor store the only SNPA they had was bottled back in February, so I didn't buy more...I'm running low...

DUDE!

Are you home now? I'm swinging by!

The Beerery

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2017, 11:43:33 am »

Yuengling is fantastic.

Damnit man, every Time you post a pic I always think to myself one day I want that!

With all of the admiration and jealousy I have to say... "This F*ing guy!"

HA, thanks.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2017, 11:51:07 am »

DUDE!

Are you home now? I'm swinging by!

Sure, but you'll be drafted to help change out the diff and trans fluid in the Camaro...  ;)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2017, 11:51:53 am »

Yeah, I agree. Used to get Yuengling on road trips. Now that it's distributed in Indiana, it's become my house 'cheap' beer.
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2017, 11:58:21 am »
Bryan, cool to see the Orval in the mix there. Didn't know if that type of thing was your cup of tea or not. At the risk of being overly obvious here - DAMN, I love beer.   ;D

Edit - Yeah, the canner (and killer cans) have me pretty emerald green with envy.
Jon H.

The Beerery

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2017, 12:07:24 pm »
Bryan, cool to see the Orval in the mix there. Didn't know if that type of thing was your cup of tea or not. At the risk of being overly obvious here - DAMN, I love beer.   ;D

Edit - Yeah, the canner (and killer cans) have me pretty emerald green with envy.

Actually Orval is the only one I really like, which is super strange I know.

There might be a little dust on the bottle....
Been making it for awhile and I save 2 from every batch to cellar.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2017, 12:08:39 pm »
Awesome!
Jon H.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2017, 04:59:23 pm »
I love how this has evolved from talking about crappy IPAs to cheap beer. I think that says a lot about what's missing from the craft beer scene...

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2017, 05:34:28 pm »
I blame all day drinking...

AHA Member