Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Imperial A43 Loki Yeast  (Read 3836 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Imperial A43 Loki Yeast
« on: June 02, 2017, 11:43:05 pm »
Ok, so, I bought a can of this yeast believing that it would be some sort of "normal" ale yeast, since its number is "A43" and "A" indicates British and American ales with Imperial. I realized before using it that this was a "farmhouse" strain, so I tried it in a basic strong bitter wort (20# pale ale malt, 1# wheat,  1.5# C40, and 1# corn sugar 1.051, ~35 ibus, mashed at 151F for 60 mins).

Anyway, I pitched cooler than expected (58F), but visible fermentation began at 62. I let it finish at ambient in my garage during a warm week, so the top fermentation temp was in the high 70's or low 80's. The high temperature was recommended from the few sites where I could find details. Then I cold crashed and kegged it with some biofine.

My opinion: the aroma and flavor are somewhere between a hefeweizen and a trappist yeast, and not in a great way. There's a ton of clove and a little pepper. Maybe I should've gone with a simpler recipe (I split it and the other half got Fuller's yeast, fwiw), but this just ain't great. I have about 750 mL of slurry saved, but I don't think I will use it. This is a niche yeast, and I think it would taste best in a low-gravity wheat beer. I wouldn't consider it saison-like.

Offline jFrode

• 1st Kit
Re: Imperial A43 Loki Yeast
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 02:50:05 am »
It is some kind of farmhouse ale yeast I think. Real farmhouse yeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Imperial A43 Loki Yeast
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 07:44:02 am »
Judging by the name, I'd guess a tamed wild yeast from the Danes. Not much out there. Email Imperial.

ETA - From a shop in Norway

https://bryggeland.no/produkt/ravarer/gjaer-1/overgjaer-1/a43-loke-imperial-yeast
Norwegian farm giant! Vossakveik.Trives at high temperatures up to 37 ° C. Our own Lars, the store manager at the Oslo store, has helped Imperial yeast and named this yeast strain.

Same strain http://www.theyeastbay.com/brewers-yeast-products/sigmunds-voss-kveik
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 07:55:22 am by Stevie »