Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wanting to move to all grain  (Read 2336 times)

Offline themattman

• 1st Kit
Wanting to move to all grain
« on: June 04, 2017, 06:09:01 am »
I would like to start brewing all grain. So i was looking at NB, and found the Fermenter's Favorites® Essential All-Grain Brewing Starter Kit - 10 Gallon. I have a burner and a 20 gallon pot. What else would i need to get this started?

Offline riceral

• Brewer
Re: Wanting to move to all grain
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 09:31:13 am »
I would like to start brewing all grain. So i was looking at NB, and found the Fermenter's Favorites® Essential All-Grain Brewing Starter Kit - 10 Gallon. I have a burner and a 20 gallon pot. What else would i need to get this started?

I can't say what your needs are since I know little about you or where you want to go in home brewing except all-grain. 5 gallon or 10 gallon (or larger) batches? Batch spare or no spare? BIAB or traditional mash?

Is there a local home-brew club in your area? If so, connect with them---and join. Find someone in the club you can help brew a batch with.

Local home-brew supply shops many time has beginning classes. Ask if there are any in the near future. Or aks them for recommendations on equipment.

Learn to Home-brew Day is an AHA sponsored event. Look for one in your area.

Start with John Palmer's book, How to Brew, if you haven't bought it yet.     https://www.amazon.com/How-Brew-Everything-Great-Every/dp/1938469356/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496590068&sr=8-1&keywords=how+to+brew   

Those are some recommendations off the top of my head.

Ralph R.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 10:11:50 am »
take a look at dennybrew.com
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Wanting to move to all grain
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 03:50:05 pm »
If you are interested in fly sparging, that kit is good. You pay a bit of a premium for it being pre-done.

If you want easy, a cooler tun similar to the one Denny linked to will work well. I've used a similar cooler for the past 8 or 9 years.

Offline lindak

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 06:07:48 pm »
With your 20 gallon kettle you could easily do a 5 gallon BIAB  batch with only buying a bag.  There are a couple of sites that sell them to fit that size kettle.  You would need a way to raise the bag (I use a ladder over the kettle with a pulley and move it when I start the boil) because it can be heavy/awkward.  I went this route to avoid having more gear to store. 

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 10:12:31 pm »
With your 20 gallon kettle you could easily do a 5 gallon BIAB  batch with only buying a bag.  There are a couple of sites that sell them to fit that size kettle.  You would need a way to raise the bag (I use a ladder over the kettle with a pulley and move it when I start the boil) because it can be heavy/awkward.  I went this route to avoid having more gear to store.

I agree, although I regularly brew 5-6 gallon batches with my 1 vessel BIAB system. You could probably do 10 gallon BIAB batches with your kettle if you'd like. I usually check my recipes with a calculator from the Green Bay Rackers to see how much volume a batch will take.

I agree with the previous posters though, a bit more info is needed. Anyway, there's tons of ways to make great beer. I've used a 3 vessel system before, and it worked out well. I switched to BIAB because I found it easier, although every has their own definition of easy.

To answer your question, if you want to have a few vessels, and want to fly sparge and brew 10 gallon, this looks like everything you'd want for the most part.
  • If you don't have a way to crush your grain, you might want a grain mill. I bought a cheap corona mill for $20, but I had to modify to get good results. I followed http://www.instructables.com/id/Corona-Mill-Mods-for-All-Grain-Brewing/ I also made a mill cover, because I was too stupid to buy a mill that came with one:
     https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=29472.0
  • Some grain storage. Once again, not a big deal if you have a great local homebrew shop. I have a hydroponics place that has decided to carry some stuff to avoid going out of business (I desperately try and support them to support competition), and a liquor store that sells malt for $3/lb. I'd recommend some buckets and gamma lids, or some vittles vaults. Petsmart has a nice sale right now for 65 lb containers, you can order online or they'll pricematch in store. Other places may pricematch too.
  • Bru'N Water Spreadsheet  https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/
    This is a fantastic way to make sure that you're staying in the right water parameters. I don't do a lot of water adjustments, but I do try and manage my pH. Probably pointless, as I don't have a pH meter, but I feel better knowing I'm listening to a PHD about my water. Even if I can't trust my local water report.
  • If your kettle doesn't have volume markings, you can make your own. I did, and I love it.https://byo.com/stories/issue/item/3113-etch-your-kettle-projects
  • A chiller. It's a great time saver, but you might already have one. I like my immersion chiller personally, for reasons Jamil Zainasheff outlines here:http://www.mrmalty.com/chiller.php
I can't really think of anything else right now without more info, but those are my initial recommendations.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 08:44:23 pm »
A bag may be a nice way to start since it's a minimal investment over your current set-up. Brew Bag sells nice ones.

When making that jump to all-grain just make sure you're paying attention to the mash as pH and water chemistry are important but don't have to be complex.

I would pick up a cheap pH meter, some calibration solution, and download Brun Water (if you haven't already).

narvin

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 10:26:57 pm »
If you have the big pot and burner you're 90% there.  Coleman coolers are great for converting to mash tuns.  Denny likes the braid but I've made them with a bazooka screen and cooler bulkhead kit that they sell at most homebrew stores, and like that setup.  Either way it's a mash tun that you can use now and in the future if you increase to 10 gallons for a good price... check Walmart (I know) for end of season specials on coolers.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-62-Quart-Xtreme-5-Wheeled-Cooler/181351865

If you haven't drilled your pot yet, you should.  Siphoning or pouring out of a 20 gallon kettle is no fun.  It's easy and the $8 step drill bit I got on amazon worked wonders with nothing but cold hose water (no drilling oil) and the weldless bulkhead kits are great.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 10:30:01 pm by narvin »

Offline drewer02

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 03:51:03 am »
take a look at dennybrew.com

They got good info, thanks!