Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Saving the planet with wort chillers!  (Read 2172 times)

Offline lumpyloaf

• 1st Kit
Saving the planet with wort chillers!
« on: June 05, 2017, 08:32:59 pm »
So I was sick of sending water down the drain with my wort chiller, so I opened my window, put my wort chiller drain tube out the window, and stuffed it into my hose (a perfect fit, but used some duck tape to hold it in place) and watered my lawn with sprinkler. The Faucet pressure was not nearly as high as the garden hose hook up outside, but it was enough to pressure to make the sprinkler slooooowly oscillate and water the lawn! Got to feel good about chilling my beer and not wasting water. Took a couple pictures, but I can't figure out how to attach them.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 08:35:28 pm by lumpyloaf »

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Saving the planet with wort chillers!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 08:42:22 pm »
Yea, I put the output hose into one of those big tubs like you'd use at a beach party and dip it out with a sprinkling can to water the garden for a few days. At the price of water I hate to see it go to waste.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 08:57:12 pm »
I usually use mine for laundry. I was absurd to find out how much water a load of laundry takes. I don't remember exactly, but it was 15+gallons for a medium load.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 09:21:25 pm »
Whenever I use my wort chiller, I save as much of the H2O as I can, diverting it for:

1) The initial super hot water gets set aside to wash my brewing equipment
2) The warmish water goes into rinsing out my mash tun and other pieces that need it
3) As the water cools, I do a thorough watering of all of the plants in the yard
4) Another 5 gallons gets set aside for a fishtank water change

« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 09:36:11 am by Andy Farke »
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 08:51:44 am »
I usually use mine for laundry. I was absurd to find out how much water a load of laundry takes. I don't remember exactly, but it was 15+gallons for a medium load.

As of about 8 years ago, the official number for water usage from the appliance manufacturers, in a conventional washer, for a maximum load, was about 45 gallons. Yes, that is a lot of water. Newer machines do use substantially less water.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 09:39:35 am »
So I was sick of sending water down the drain with my wort chiller, so I opened my window, put my wort chiller drain tube out the window, and stuffed it into my hose (a perfect fit, but used some duck tape to hold it in place) and watered my lawn with sprinkler. The Faucet pressure was not nearly as high as the garden hose hook up outside, but it was enough to pressure to make the sprinkler slooooowly oscillate and water the lawn! Got to feel good about chilling my beer and not wasting water. Took a couple pictures, but I can't figure out how to attach them.

I can't get past the fact that you are concerned with saving water but you water your lawn.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

narvin

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 09:54:17 am »

I can't get past the fact that you are concerned with saving water but you water your lawn.

Well, if you already have a lawn, the proper care of it can have an impact on its health and the health of the planet.

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/Lawn/lawn3.php

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 10:01:06 am »

Well, if you already have a lawn, the proper care of it can have an impact on its health and the health of the planet.

Point taken.

narvin

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 10:11:23 am »

Point taken.

Of course I agree that there are likely a lot of people who over-water and fertilize.  But this was something interesting I saw the other day, so I figured I'd share  :)

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 10:14:06 am »

Point taken.

Of course I agree that there are likely a lot of people who over-water and fertilize.  But this was something interesting I saw the other day, so I figured I'd share  :)
Yea, ideally if you live in an area where lawns need watering and its your choice, you do something other than grass, but sometimes there neighborhood rules or you just don't have the time/resources to re do what is there.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 02:21:52 pm »

As of about 8 years ago, the official number for water usage from the appliance manufacturers, in a conventional washer, for a maximum load, was about 45 gallons. Yes, that is a lot of water. Newer machines do use substantially less water.

I used to run my chiller into my old top-loader washer, but new machines can't adjust to starting with water in the tub -- at least according to the call center guy I asked.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.