Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: IPL dry hop technique.  (Read 4010 times)

Offline TENNISPROROB

• Cellarman
IPL dry hop technique.
« on: June 04, 2017, 11:13:38 am »
Curious how other brewers are dry hopping their IPL. In primary or while lagering or maybe during D-rest? Any other tips on the style would be appreciated too!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: IPL dry hop technique.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 11:51:16 am »
In my experience, the later the better when it comes to dry-hopping a lager. Dry hop character fades quickly, so if you have an extended lagering period after you dry hop, that just starts the countdown sooner. Keg-hop if you can, or dry-hop just prior to bottling otherwise.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 11:56:12 am »
I agree with Eric. Dry hop at the end of fermentation then lager for 3 or 4 weeks and a lot of the dry hop character is gone. I do all my dry hopping in keg.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 12:00:10 pm »
I agree with Eric. Dry hop at the end of fermentation then lager for 3 or 4 weeks and a lot of the dry hop character is gone. I do all my dry hopping in keg.

I would add that anything you can do to cut down on your lagering time for an IPL would be a great idea. You want it as fresh as possible. Spund, use gelatin, lager as cold as possible, etc. The sooner you're drinking an IPL, the better.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 12:01:24 pm »
I do mine in the serving keg.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 12:11:20 pm »

I would add that anything you can do to cut down on your lagering time for an IPL would be a great idea. You want it as fresh as possible. Spund, use gelatin, lager as cold as possible, etc. The sooner you're drinking an IPL, the better.

I agree. As soon as it (or any average strength lager IMO) is clear, it's ready to drink. Some brewers still hold to old school lagering schedules where the hop character could drop off a lot. I get lagers pretty clear and drinkable ar 3 weeks from brewday. A week or two later, crystal. But IPL is obviously about the hop character.

Edit- To be clear, I jump to a keg with bagged dry hops when it's clear.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 12:13:17 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline TENNISPROROB

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 12:46:54 pm »
Does anyone raise the temp before dry hopping? I've dry hopped in the serving keg before but found a grassy/vegetal flavor. I heard that can happen while dry hopping at colder temps or long exposure to the hops. Is this an issue with an IPL?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 12:52:33 pm »
Does anyone raise the temp before dry hopping? I've dry hopped in the serving keg before but found a grassy/vegetal flavor. I heard that can happen while dry hopping at colder temps or long exposure to the hops. Is this an issue with an IPL?

I don't get any more grassy character in the keg than I did dry hopping in the fermenter, but people perceive hops differently, so I'm not doubting your experience. I don't warm up first. The main difference I see is the longer extraction time at cold temps.
Jon H.

Offline TENNISPROROB

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 01:06:01 pm »
Thanks! That's good to know. Has anyone used lupuln2 powder? I just got my hands on some mosaic powder and was thinking this might be the perfect time to use it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 01:13:38 pm »

I don't get any more grassy character in the keg than I did dry hopping in the fermenter, but people perceive hops differently, so I'm not doubting your experience. I don't warm up first. The main difference I see is the longer extraction time at cold temps.

Exactly.  I'm the same...no grassiness, no warming for dry hopping.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 01:25:35 pm »
Thanks! That's good to know. Has anyone used lupuln2 powder? I just got my hands on some mosaic powder and was thinking this might be the perfect time to use it.

Not yet. It's on the radar, though!
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 01:33:40 pm »

Not yet. It's on the radar, though!

Got some sitting in the fridge that I'll use in the next day or 2.  It will be widely available in a month or so.  BTW, they've started pelletizing it to make it easier to use.  The powder itself is a PITA.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline gdlbrewingco

• 1st Kit
IPL dry hop technique.
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 06:04:42 am »
I,ve used it for dry hopping. Just use half of what you would use for pellets (by weight). In my experience you get more flavor compared to pellets.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk