Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Step mashing timing  (Read 12620 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Step mashing timing
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2017, 01:47:00 pm »
+1 ...if it's worth it to the individual then by all means... go for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2017, 04:29:42 pm »
At YHB we usually brew our lagers with a modified Hochkurz step mash. This is our "Rebellion red Lager" stepped at 148 for about 20-30 minutes then 156 for 10-15 before vorlauf. This is the head it pours with primed at about 2.6 vol co2 before kegging.

So yeah, I guess I'm a step mash advocate. ;)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2017, 05:01:32 pm »
Great looking beer!
Jon H.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2017, 05:30:41 pm »
I've tried all your beers at YH Kieth, and I always go back to Rebellion. Good lookin pour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2017, 06:33:39 pm »

I'm getting irritated by how some seem to imply that because something is hard it isn't worth doing. That's for the individual brewer to decide. In the auto racing world, you'd willingly pay that $100 for $10 of improvement...after all the more effective improvements have been used.

Not sure why, everyone seems to be saying the brewer should brew as he or she feels fit. If you like doing multi-step mashes. Knock yourself out. Some of us don't see that it really makes that big of a difference. Some of us do. There really isn't any hard evidence that beers using a multi-step mash are better than  beers with single infusions. There's a lot of personal claims that they are. And a lot of insinuating that if you don't follow a certain process your beer is "inferior", but no hard evidence.

Keith, this wasn't directed at you, just some of the other statements throughout this thread. I felt that some don't understand why others would think the extra effort was worth pursuing.

The point I was trying to make was this: If folks are striving for the perfect beer, and have exhausted the low hanging fruit, step mashing will more than pay for the effort.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2017, 07:08:59 am »
At YHB we usually brew our lagers with a modified Hochkurz step mash. This is our "Rebellion red Lager" stepped at 148 for about 20-30 minutes then 156 for 10-15 before vorlauf. This is the head it pours with primed at about 2.6 vol co2 before kegging.

I wish I could get some of that. One day I'm tripping to AL!
I'm revisiting the step. I just did some work on my HERMS that has been dormant for a long time. I'm going to can some wort. I'll see what my rise times are. I have to think I will see/taste the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

The Beerery

« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2017, 07:13:11 am »

Bump that up to 162 to maximize that rest, and foam.  ;)

Offline Nathan

• Cellarman
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2017, 02:11:07 pm »
What Ellismr said although I've had good luck step mashing beers with high 50+% content of wheat Malt Step mashing is an unnecessary step with modern malts it can bring out husky grainy flavours

Big Monk

« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2017, 02:13:39 pm »
What Ellismr said although I've had good luck step mashing beers with high 50+% content of wheat Malt Step mashing is an unnecessary step with modern malts it can bring out husky grainy flavours

Hrmm. Interesting. I certainly don't get any "husky, grainy" flavors with my set mashes.

Maybe you meant to say that a protein test is not necessary with modern malts? That I can get on board with.

The Beerery

« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2017, 02:45:21 pm »

Do you get these flavors from any beers produced outside the Us? Speaking in generalities, the US and UK are really the only people who do single infusion mashes.

Offline Nathan

• Cellarman
« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2017, 03:54:19 pm »

Do you get these flavors from any beers produced outside the Us? Speaking in generalities, the US and UK are really the only people who do single infusion mashes.
I have spent big money on some Belgian beers that tasted bad but I think that was more about handling and age Northern BC is a long way from the abbey My personal failures around step mashing happened 25 years ago and may have been the result of inexperience and old malt pr too much crystal malt who knows I stopped doing the except for wheat beers and haven't missed them

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2017, 05:09:21 pm »

I've toured a few breweries in Vietnam and they were doing single infusion as well.

Big Monk

Step mashing timing
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2017, 05:30:55 pm »
Ah yes, Vietnam. The great undiscovered hotbed of international brewing...

What style of beers were they brewing? I've had some Thai beers before but never anything from Vietnam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro