Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: RateBeer minority position by ZX Ventures  (Read 3613 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
RateBeer minority position by ZX Ventures
« on: June 05, 2017, 04:48:47 pm »
In case you were not aware, RateBeer sold a minority stake to ZX Ventures which is an arm of AB Inbev.
https://www.ratebeer.com/forums/ratebeer-investment-announcement_296260.htm

Dogfish Head put out a press release today:
https://www.dogfish.com/blog/message-sam-current-ratebeer-changes
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
RateBeer minority position by ZX Ventures
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 04:52:19 pm »
Now that's shady. Like a politician owning a newspaper shady.

ETA - like northern brewers users reviews shady (pre-ABI)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 04:53:52 pm by Stevie »

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: RateBeer minority position by ZX Ventures
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 05:42:45 pm »
I have tried to remain non-judgemental in regards to ABI's purchases of craft breweries and other related entities over the past several years. One reason is that I visited 10 Barrel Brewing in Bend shortly after it was acquired by ABI and spoke to several employees there. All of them assured me that the only change was that they no longer had a full bar. I found the food, beer and service to still be excellent. I was at 10 Barrel just 3 weeks ago and still saw no change.

Personally, I would not have boycotted a business solely because it was bought out by ABI. After reading about this, I have changed my mind. IMHO,there is no reason, other than attempting to influence the market, that ABI would buy into RateBeer. I have now joined the masses and will boycott all businesses that are owned, whether partially or wholly by ABI.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 05:57:47 pm »
Before, Ratebeer was only humorous and ridiculous, with all of the highest rated beers either being IIPA or RIS. Now it'll be amusing (and not surprising) to see if all the low end Goose island beers (and others) end up all suddenly rated 99+.    ;D
Jon H.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 06:34:14 am »
People actually pay attention to Ratebeer and Beer Advocate?  Huh...who knew?

Now if AB buys Untappd, I'll be really disappointed.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 07:42:00 am »
People actually pay attention to Ratebeer and Beer Advocate?  Huh...who knew?

When liquor stores here started posting Ratebeer rating scores next to beers, I wanted to see if there was anything remotely legit. One visit was more than enough.
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 08:12:01 am »
I find Ratebeer and Beer Advocate to be completely useless. Generally, the reviews provided by individuals are very poor quality and the reviews are very inconsistent from reviewer to reviewer.

I think untappd is slightly better. But, I would buy a beer because of good scores there.

Then again, I generally hate buying craft beer. I get as many duds as studs. I go back to the same breweries over and over.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 03:36:19 pm »
Before, Ratebeer was only humorous and ridiculous, with all of the highest rated beers either being IIPA or RIS. Now it'll be amusing (and not surprising) to see if all the low end Goose island beers (and others) end up all suddenly rated 99+.    ;D

That's not even possible.  :o
Is it?   ::)
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 04:03:54 pm »

Beats me. I was being tongue in cheek mostly. But I could see ABI beers being rated pretty highly. They bought it for a reason .
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 04:48:01 pm »

Beats me. I was being tongue in cheek mostly. But I could see ABI beers being rated pretty highly. They bought it for a reason .

I think it's more about data mining than getting good ratings for ABI products.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 04:59:19 pm »

I think it's more about data mining than getting good ratings for ABI products.

Yeah, there's that, too.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 05:05:55 pm »
Maybe, but much of that could be done with page scrapes. If true, maybe they are after search terms to see see trends.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 05:11:03 pm »
Maybe, but much of that could be done with page scrapes. If true, maybe they are after search terms to see see trends.

Probably the most likely approach.
Jon H.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2022, 06:13:06 pm »
old bump, but ratebeer.com seems to no longer be maintained actively, as well as it having some site issues.

the frontpage has links for "top brewers of 2020" and other mentions of 2020 results. site looks the same as it has for as long as i can remember. people still use it daily for reviews but i couldn't log in on firefox the other day. have had that problem before and had to use a diff browser i recall to log in.

i started using it 15+ years ago to keep track of any beers i had already drank and liked/didnt. at that time it was fine, but i remember more "serious" and homebrew beer people using beeradvocate.

i don't try new beers as often as i used to, but what sites do you guys use to review/keep track of beers you buy?

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2022, 06:31:45 pm »
I use Untappd on the phone, but I know you can login on a laptop. I only tag in new beers and it's rare that I have to add a beer to their database.

I quit giving BeerAdvocate content in 2007 after the Bros did a friend of mine dirty. I think they are now owned by Untappd, but the Bros are still involved.

A recent article indicated RateBeer was sold in total to AB in 2019.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!