Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Spelling and Grammar  (Read 6743 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Re: Spelling and Grammar
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2016, 12:15:05 pm »
Sometimes the issues with English conventions and usage in these forums feels like an itch

"feel"

touché  ;D

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2016, 12:41:22 pm »
My typing, spelling, proofreading are all suspect. Autocorrect often changes something I have typed, much to my chagrin.

After a beer or three, or before the morning coffee, more errors are made.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2016, 01:17:20 pm »
First of all, I don't ever want to correct anyone in a discussion here because that would be rude. That's why I made this its own post in "the pub."

I would say (and I know that I'm in the minority on this by a wide margin) that the ongoing trend of "it doesn't matter, as long as I get the point across" only leads to lower expectations of everyone all the time.  It doesn't take much more time to just try a little and make things much better.  Must we always lower the bar?

(I know, I'm just a grumpy old man and should accept it and shut up)

I agree with this.

In truth, poor grammar isn't a big deal on these forums, but I thought it was a topic worthy of a little discussion here and I felt like venting a bit. I also teach English and I have had students (high school seniors, even) who do not know basic capitalization rules or the difference between "ru" and "are you" because the only writing they encounter is informal discussion online. I do think it is worth making a basic effort online, but I don't think it is a big deal when people mess up. And I am not above criticism on this. But I do prefer reading complete sentences using properly-spelled words and effective punctuation.

i go other forums like gaming forums 'were not understanding ppl's saying. cause their not riteing complete sentinces or fix the gramer or whatevs. My venting here may have something to do with that.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2016, 03:35:33 pm »
People who use really bad grammar come across as unintelligent to most other people. As do people who have to use cursing and vulgarity to express themselves.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2016, 03:37:13 pm »
People who use really bad grammar come across as unintelligent to most other people. As do people who have to use cursing and vulgarity to express themselves.

Maybe this is why I'm constantly underestimated...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Brew Cat

• Cellarman
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2016, 10:42:12 am »

I love that. Brewing forum is no place for Grammer cops. I'm sure someone caught that. Head over to Goodreads they make you a moderator
"The waiting is the hardest part" Tom Petty

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2016, 11:31:31 am »

I love that. Brewing forum is no place for Grammer cops. I'm sure someone caught that. Head over to Goodreads they make you a moderator

I don't correct anyone who uses bad grammar, it would be a never ending battle and I have better uses for my time.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline JoanMCD

• 1st Kit
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2021, 06:36:38 am »
Guys, I've been living in the US for six months now and I still can't learn English. I started learning English a year ago when I knew that I would be moving to the United States and for a year I have very few changes. I can't speak English fluently. How can I overcome my shyness in speaking English? I have no problems with grammar, but I have big problems with pronunciation so I'm really shy to start a conversation with someone. Now I have found the second-grade reading comprehension and try to read the texts out loud to overcome shyness. I also want to find a friend on the Internet who would just communicate with me in English, thereby taking me out of my comfort zone.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 02:26:11 am by JoanMCD »

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2022, 08:52:50 am »
It's not surprising that grammar especially is going t!ts up in this country. I had to stop paying real close attention to the newscasters on tv as their grammar is sometimes pretty unintelligent sounding. "The mayor, he is going to give a speech".
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women