Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: RateBeer minority position by ZX Ventures  (Read 3615 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: RateBeer minority position by ZX Ventures
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2022, 11:12:06 pm »
I'd venture a guess that the overall dip in the beer market plus the decline in beer chasing has made that site a lot less valuable than at the time of purchase. It may not make sense to continue investing money into new content.

Untappd has pretty well won the day with beer reviews/check-ins. I used it for several years mostly in friendly competition with friends but I got tired of feeling like opening a beer came with a chore. I also didn't write reviews so I didn't really engage with anybody I didn't already know. I can send the same group of people a text that I'm drinking something interesting.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2022, 08:20:06 am »
My reviews on Untappd generally contain the star rating and less than 10 words. Most of the time it's simply the word "Tasty" ;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

narvin

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2022, 08:53:42 am »
Untapped review quality is pretty poor, it's more of a personal tracker/ticker showoff space imo.  I don't spend a lot of time on beer reviews these days regardless.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2022, 10:34:37 am »
Untapped review quality is pretty poor, it's more of a personal tracker/ticker showoff space imo.  I don't spend a lot of time on beer reviews these days regardless.

yeah tbh i don't understand the point of untappd, all i see are scores without words or just "username was drinking a (beer name) on may 4th, 2021"

i used ratebeer as a way to keep track of my thoughts on beers, so if i was at the store and i saw a beer i hadn't had in so long i forgot if i liked it or not i could check

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2022, 03:42:57 pm »
At one time you could have almost every new release. Nowadays in just NC we have over 350 breweries and it's impossible to even begin to try them all. I quit keeping track of anything other than what I drink several years ago. I do use Untappd to make decisions when I am staring at a draft list which includes several breweries. While the reviews may not be perfect anything above 3.5 is typically going to be a safe bet.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2022, 04:05:53 pm »
Before, Ratebeer was only humorous and ridiculous, with all of the highest rated beers either being IIPA or RIS. Now it'll be amusing (and not surprising) to see if all the low end Goose island beers (and others) end up all suddenly rated 99+.    ;D

That's not even possible.  :o
Is it?   ::)

Beats me. I was being tongue in cheek mostly. But I could see ABI beers being rated pretty highly. They bought it for a reason .

I think it's more about data mining than getting good ratings for ABI products.

I agree, it's probably about getting all the other data you leave all over the internet. Knowing that people that buy Dogfish Head also has a Subaru, wears Carhartt, and is planning a trip to Mexico in a few weeks. Not the dramatic, dystopian crushing smaller businesses by altering beer scores but the normal, dystopian corporate surveillance we've become used to.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2022, 05:00:01 pm »
People actually pay attention to Ratebeer and Beer Advocate?  Huh...who knew?

Now if AB buys Untappd, I'll be really disappointed.

i hate untappd ...bunch of people who know nothing about beer or brewing given the absolute authority to give their idiot opinion.

narvin

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2022, 05:14:24 pm »

i hate untappd ...bunch of people who know nothing about beer or brewing given the absolute authority to give their idiot opinion.

Welcome to the internet!

I still use BA as a coarse filter for all the new breweries I've never heard of taking up shelf space.  I don't feel good about it, but it's better than buying an absolute crap beer for $20/4pk

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
RateBeer minority position by ZX Ventures
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2022, 05:40:13 pm »

Agree. Not worth the time at all.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 06:04:22 pm by Thirsty_Monk »
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2022, 05:54:01 pm »
I disagree. While the reviews aren't trained, if you see a low review on a beer you probably better steer clear. I use it as more of a database than a rating system.