Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Just wondering what people most often do for their IPAs and why?

Boil (+-flame out) hops and nothing else.
0 (0%)
Boil (+-flame out) hops and dry hopping.
19 (32.8%)
Boil (+-flame out) hops and whirlpool/hopstand
4 (6.9%)
Boil (+-flame out) hops and whirlpool/hopstand plus dryhopping
34 (58.6%)
Other
1 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: IPA hopping technique survey/poll?  (Read 5662 times)

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
Re: IPA hopping technique survey/poll?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2017, 09:31:00 am »
Pretty much any hopping technique should yield good beer.  Its pretty forgiving.  Myself, I haven't used a 60m addition in years but I do like a few ounces at 15m but for a long time was WP only + DH.  I would say if one is questioning whether the WP is working or not, you need to be stirring or ideally recirculating.  That's the key.  https://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/handle/1957/34093 

Anyone dealing with grassiness or harness you need to age out should look into polyclar.  I dose 10m to KO during the WP.  Between that, switching to english yeast (thanks Paul), and DH off the yeast/into bright beer (sorry Paul got that from some else ;D) I am at a point where I am happy.  Right now the struggle is getting the magic to last more than a few weeks.  Currently testing the effects of 10g sugar/boiled added a few hours prior to transfers as a redox agent.
I was going to add the yeast choice and only discussed hopping. I too agree as my IPA yeast of choice is 007. The sugar addition is interesting. My last few I haven't used dry hops, just whirlpool and they were fantastic. I didn't miss dealing w the dry. I will say that the dry hops add that extra happiness that makes it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline MagicRat

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2017, 06:46:35 pm »
A 60 minute addition to bitter, a flavor/aroma addition at 5, and dry hop 4 days.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2017, 03:26:42 am »
Pretty much any hopping technique should yield good beer.  Its pretty forgiving.  Myself, I haven't used a 60m addition in years but I do like a few ounces at 15m but for a long time was WP only + DH.  I would say if one is questioning whether the WP is working or not, you need to be stirring or ideally recirculating.  That's the key.  https://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/handle/1957/34093 

Anyone dealing with grassiness or harness you need to age out should look into polyclar.  I dose 10m to KO during the WP.  Between that, switching to english yeast (thanks Paul), and DH off the yeast/into bright beer (sorry Paul got that from some else ;D) I am at a point where I am happy.  Right now the struggle is getting the magic to last more than a few weeks.  Currently testing the effects of 10g sugar/boiled added a few hours prior to transfers as a redox agent.
I was going to add the yeast choice and only discussed hopping. I too agree as my IPA yeast of choice is 007. The sugar addition is interesting. My last few I haven't used dry hops, just whirlpool and they were fantastic. I didn't miss dealing w the dry. I will say that the dry hops add that extra happiness that makes it.

I was not blessed with being concise  ;D  Point I was trying to make was that I chased alot variables with my hopping technique/varieties/amounts only to find out other things actually took me where I wanted to go.  Whitbread here too. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2017, 06:25:54 pm »
One method that use is first wort hopping, no hops early in the boil (ie traditional 60 min bittering addition), flameout, and keg hopping.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2017, 06:57:18 pm »
I do 60 15/10/5/0 + dry

I pretty much use the same weight all the time for the 15min and later additions, then adjust the 60 weight to hit my IBU target.  Sometimes, that may include sliding it to 65 or 55 depending so I can use a "round" number addition instead of some weird amount.  Makes it easier for upcoming batches, and the thought of using .278 oz drives my semi-OCD brain nuts.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline shinybuddha

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2017, 07:10:40 pm »
I do 60 15/10/5/0 + dry

I pretty much use the same weight all the time for the 15min and later additions, then adjust the 60 weight to hit my IBU target.  Sometimes, that may include sliding it to 65 or 55 depending so I can use a "round" number addition instead of some weird amount.  Makes it easier for upcoming batches, and the thought of using .278 oz drives my semi-OCD brain nuts.
I have pretty much the same hops schedule as Santoch, although I'm a fan of first wort hopping. As soon as vorlauf is done, I start draining directly only my pellets (in nylon bags of course).

To maximize the surface area, I do my best to max each bag with only of 0.5oz (~14g) of pellets. Yes, I can have quite a few bags to clean at the end of the day.