Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Half Bottle  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Shoe

• 1st Kit
  • Shoe
Half Bottle
« on: June 13, 2017, 04:55:26 pm »
While bottling my beer (pale ale) the last bottle was only half full.  I went ahead and capped it and figured I could use that as a tester/taster.  I just opened it and the beer looks light pink...maybe light brown...not the color it was when it went in the bottle!  I'm guessing this was caused by oxidation from the air in the extra head space?  It also tastes a bit like a beer might taste like after sitting around a while.  So, can anyone confirm the color is likely due to oxidation?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Half Bottle
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 06:53:39 pm »
Oxidation is a fair guess.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 06:03:04 am »
Not sure about pink, but brown could be from trub/yeast from the bottom of your bottling bucket.

The "tastes like it's been sitting out for a while" is certainly from a combo of oxidation and no/low carbonation, one of the hallmarks of too much head space.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 12:25:10 pm »
Yep. Oxidation.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 08:10:56 am »
  The solution of course is to simply drink the partial bottle, rather than capping it. I consider partial bottles to be the "Angel's share", with me being the bottling angel - I guess. ;D
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 06:43:03 am »
I  didn't see anyone mention not capping bottles that come up short of beer. When I first started brewing I capped one that had a half bottle of beer and later when opening it after 2-3 weeks it blow up in my hand as soon as I popped the cap. It cut my hand with the flying glass, never again. Hope this keeps others from injury.
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln