Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pale ale recipe critique  (Read 4848 times)

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
Pale ale recipe critique
« on: June 06, 2017, 03:38:52 am »
I'm planning on making a pale ale for my next brew, this is a style I've drunk a lot of recently, but not had a great deal of experience brewing.  I typically don't like those mouth puckering high IBU beers, but do like a lot of hop flavour/aroma.

SG - 1.055
IBU - 53
ABV - 5.7%

Malt bill

4.25kg low colour Maris Otter
0.5kg Munich
0.25kg Crystal 50L

Hops

5g Magnum 60mins

30g Mosaic hop stand 20mins
25g Galaxy hop stand 20mins
30g Amarillo hop stand 20mins
25g Azacca hop stand 20mins
28g Rakau hop stand 20mins

25g Mosaic dry hop 4days
30g Galaxy dry hop 4days
30g Amarillo dry hop 4days

Yeast - Wy1318 London Ale 3

SO4/Cl balance 150/100

Please feel free to suggest changes in anything to do with the recipe (I do wonder whether the hop bill is a little too complicated).  I'm not sure whether to dry hop in primary (I have never done a secondary), or whether to dry hop in keg.  If keg hopping, should I allow it a couple of days at room temp before I start carbonating it.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 03:48:39 am by Hand of Dom »
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline txk54

• Cellarman
  • Tim in Cleveland
Re: Pale ale recipe critique
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 05:33:49 am »
Looks good to me. I really like Mosaic, Galaxy and Amarillo together. I usually just use 2 row in my pale ale but MO should be fine.

I always dry hop in the keg. I cold crash the beer then transfer to the keg with the hops, so I don't have any days at room temp. It works good for me.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 06:08:10 am »
I like the hops you're using. Just know that the IBU are fairly high for a pale ale and, together with the late and dry schedule, the beer will come off closer to an IPA. Not that it's a bad thing, just depends on what you're after.
Jon H.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 06:51:01 am »
I like the hops you're using. Just know that the IBU are fairly high for a pale ale and, together with the late and dry schedule, the beer will come off closer to an IPA. Not that it's a bad thing, just depends on what you're after.

I was basing the IBU value on a beer I really like (Beavertown Gamma Ray), which they list on their website at 55 IBU.  Having reviewed my brewing logs, I think you might be right (I attempted a NE IPA previously that came in at 53 IBU in the software, and I felt was a little too bitter).  I've reduced the Amarillo and Rakau, which has taken it down to 44.  Thanks for the feedback, both of you.
Dom

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 07:05:10 am »

I was basing the IBU value on a beer I really like (Beavertown Gamma Ray), which they list on their website at 55 IBU.  Having reviewed my brewing logs, I think you might be right (I attempted a NE IPA previously that came in at 53 IBU in the software, and I felt was a little too bitter).  I've reduced the Amarillo and Rakau, which has taken it down to 44.  Thanks for the feedback, both of you.

Wasn't trying to discourage you by any means. Sounds like a good beer!
Jon H.

jrdatta

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 07:08:20 am »
Looks solid.  Primary, secondary or keg dry hop are a personal preference type of thing.  Primary for the bio transformative "juiciness" (ala NEIPA), Secondary or keg for a more piney "cleaner" (subjective) hop character.  I like keg hopping but hey, you do you!

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 07:10:23 am »

Wasn't trying to discourage you by any means. Sounds like a good beer!

No problem, I am trying to make a pale ale, as opposed to an IPA, and I do think there is a considerable delta between the estimates used by my software, and the presumably measured IBU's that the brewery use.
Dom

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 08:27:39 am »
No problem, I am trying to make a pale ale, as opposed to an IPA, and I do think there is a considerable delta between the estimates used by my software, and the presumably measured IBU's that the brewery use.

Presuming that the IBUs are measured is a big presumption as far as American microbreweries are concerned. 

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 08:32:43 am »

Presuming that the IBUs are measured is a big presumption as far as American microbreweries are concerned.

Beavertown are a reasonably large British craft brewery, though the point is still valid.  This won't be the last time I brew this, so if necessary, I'll adjust to taste on later batches.
Dom

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 04:18:01 am »
Looks good to me. I really like Mosaic, Galaxy and Amarillo together. I usually just use 2 row in my pale ale but MO should be fine.

I always dry hop in the keg. I cold crash the beer then transfer to the keg with the hops, so I don't have any days at room temp. It works good for me.

Do you just leave them in the keg until it kicks?
Dom

Offline txk54

• Cellarman
  • Tim in Cleveland
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 05:35:13 am »
[/quote]

I do and haven't had any issues with that. A keg usually lasts me 4-6 weeks.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 04:02:59 am »

I do and haven't had any issues with that. A keg usually lasts me 4-6 weeks.
[/quote]

Thanks - I like anything that simplifies proceedings!
Dom

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 08:11:19 am »
OK then - I kegged this a couple of weeks ago, having dry hopped in the fermenter (I wanted to have a try at closed transfer).  The beer has an odd nutty taste that I think has come from the dry hops.  Anyone have any suggestions on what I might have done wrong to cause this? 
Dom

Offline txk54

• Cellarman
  • Tim in Cleveland
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 06:34:27 am »
I've never experienced that myself, so just guessing at this point.

I do get some nuttiness from MO. However, I have made an IPA with 50% MO and didn't really notice the nuttiness over the hops.

Some people don't like mosaic hops, but never heard them describe it as nutty.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 04:57:43 am »
I've never experienced that myself, so just guessing at this point.

I do get some nuttiness from MO. However, I have made an IPA with 50% MO and didn't really notice the nuttiness over the hops.

Some people don't like mosaic hops, but never heard them describe it as nutty.

I don't think it's the mosaic, I love them, and have used them in the past without getting this taste.  I wonder if it might be some low level oxidation from my galaxy hops.  I noticed that despite having vacuum sealed them after I'd last used them, the bag had allowed some air in (I didn't notice any off smell before adding them, and they are stored in the freezer).
Dom