Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cigars  (Read 4081 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Cigars
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2016, 01:43:09 pm »
Had a Boneshaker a couple days ago. Robusto size, but it wasn't a robusto.  It was very tasty, and short enough for a mid-day smoke.

I have to say, I've had good luck with some of the sample packs from JR Specials.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2016, 06:41:36 pm »
To me, fall is the ideal season for smoking a pipe or a cigar. As such, I've been smoking cigars more often than normal. (read: actually smoking cigars, rather than just sniffing the humidor on occasion...)

Just tried something on a whim: pairing Laphroig 10-year with a cigar. I've had good whisky and cigars before, but somehow the smokiness of the Laphroig worked to reduce the smokiness of itself and the cigar. I was smoking a mild Perdomo 10th Anniversary Champagne cigar, one of my favorites. Will have to try this with something stronger.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline BUZZSAW52

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2016, 06:45:18 pm »
That sounds nice! I used to love that Perdomo but they have a sampler pack that I was hitting hard for quite a while and I think I burned myself out on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2016, 06:52:17 pm »
Weirdly, the first cigar I smoked was a Perdomo, and though I preferred it to some of the other cigars I tried later I've only recently bought more. They're my go-to now. I smoke so rarely that stronger cigars can turn my stomach, whereas I can always enjoy these without issue.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2016, 06:55:30 pm »
The first brand I actually recall is Macanudo.  Portofinos.  High school...  Probably had a swisher or something before that, but I've blocked them out.

Offline BUZZSAW52

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2016, 05:52:38 am »
The first brand I actually recall is Macanudo.  Portofinos.  High school...  Probably had a swisher or something before that, but I've blocked them out.

Macanudo has a new line out that has a little spunk to it. It has a maduro wrapper. It's much more flavorful than the typical Macanudo but in a price range that has it surrounded by better cigars for the same money. ($6-$7)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2016, 08:00:13 pm »
Nice! I just recently discovered Elijah Craig bourbon. I had it at a blind tasting and loved it.

OMG!!!!! WHERE ARE YOU GETTING CRAIG'S!?!?!?! When I lived in Idaho I used to get it. It's my all time favorite reasonably priced bourbon. I've not been able to find it anywhere here in Ohio.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline BUZZSAW52

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2016, 05:48:34 am »
Nice! I just recently discovered Elijah Craig bourbon. I had it at a blind tasting and loved it.

OMG!!!!! WHERE ARE YOU GETTING CRAIG'S!?!?!?! When I lived in Idaho I used to get it. It's my all time favorite reasonably priced bourbon. I've not been able to find it anywhere here in Ohio.

Arrow Wine in Dayton has it.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2016, 02:26:06 pm »
Just smoked a St. Louis Rey Toro Maduro while raking the leaves.  No good bourbon, but I had a Pipeworks Citra Session IPA to wash it down.  Nice fall day in December.

Smoke was super fresh.  Good draw, but hard to keep it lit while working.  Eventually, I just had to clench it in my teeth Hannibal Smith style.

Picked up a box of 15 from JR Specials for about $40.  Nice deal for a good smoke. Love them on-line stores.

Offline BUZZSAW52

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2016, 02:27:25 pm »
Nice! Sounds like a good day. Have you tried the CAO Amazon yet? Great smoke!!

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 09:12:12 pm »
So what would be a good cigar to pair with an IPA?
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2017, 09:29:55 am »
If you're not a big cigar smoker, something like a Macanudo or an Ashton would be good.  They are typically lighter in flavor.

For Macanudo's I like the Hampton Court or the Portofino.  Haven't had one in years, though.

I think a lighter cigar like these would be good as it won't overpower the hops.

If you want something darker, I like Upmann but they're not always easily available.  I used to smoke a lot of Upmann Corsarios.  They're about the same ring size and length as the Hampton Court, but more flavorful.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2017, 05:09:35 pm »
Considered pairing a pipe with that IPA? I'm finding pipe tobacco pairs better with beer.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2017, 05:31:40 pm »
If you're not a big cigar smoker, something like a Macanudo or an Ashton would be good.  They are typically lighter in flavor.

For Macanudo's I like the Hampton Court or the Portofino.  Haven't had one in years, though.

I think a lighter cigar like these would be good as it won't overpower the hops.

If you want something darker, I like Upmann but they're not always easily available.  I used to smoke a lot of Upmann Corsarios.  They're about the same ring size and length as the Hampton Court, but more flavorful.

Macanudo Hyde Park is my go to when I get too overwhelmed by choices and I can't decide (happens often).  I love to try other things, but I always come back to Macanudo's.  My best friend has always been a Partagas man and I've always been a Macanudo man.  Funny how we have our "favorites" even if we aren't trying.

I had both IPA and cigars on a recent camping trip but I don't believe I had them together (had whiskey with the smokes).  My first thought was something bold and spicy to "stand up to" the IPA, but the lighter approach could work well also.  It's gonna boil down to personal preference anyway.  Drink what ya like, smoke what ya like and it'll be a good combo. 
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2017, 01:09:26 pm »
I really enjoy the Kentucky Cuban. 
Kentucky Gentleman ~$8-10 a single box 10 ~ $90
With bourbon or rye is what I urge everyone to try.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)