Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What is the Purpose of this Forum?  (Read 14438 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: What is the Purpose of this Forum?
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2017, 09:00:33 pm »
Plus, if you've learned a lot here stick around and pay it back.  Not everything has to be super technical and new.

Agreed. See some of you next week... unless you run away when you see me coming. I don't run too good.
So you there!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2017, 11:41:37 pm »
Been out of the loop and out of town on vacation, but here's my $0.02: when I came here, I had already started all grain. I thought that was the mountain top. In my 3+ years on this forum, I have mainly asked questions, and responded when I thought I could add to the conversation. I'm not a creative person by nature, or an engineer, but I love brewing and I love the education this forum has given me. I'm usually here daily, and follow up with almost any new posts. I don't brew nearly as often as I would like, or have stock on hand for. But every brew day is special to me. Thanks to the great members here, I recently received a second place for a doppelbock, thanks Denny, and honorable mention for a dry stout, thanks Martin. The point of this goes back to me not being overly creative; in almost 4 years of brewing, I really have not formulated an original recipe. I have tweaked what I learned here to produce some great brews. Without this forum, I'd still be over paying for kits from the LHBS. I may be hard to find during hockey season (read as October through June) but I feel great when I learn something new here and even more so when I can pass on the knowledge I have gained here. I'm in for the Long haul, but also have gotten tired of the bickering, but have found a way to look/pick through it when I feel there is a benefit. Glad to know you'll still be around Phil, and I'm not here to get you to re-enroll, you have to do what fits in with your needs. Good brewing to you and all here. And thanks to all who have helped me on my adventure

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Edit to fix my typos, I really need to follow the advice about "read before posting" damn fat fingers
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 11:44:04 pm by 69franx »
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2017, 11:50:07 pm »
Also need to add: Tapatalk is definitely now add bombing me/all users. It's been a free service and they now want you to pay for it. There is an ad at the bottom of every page in each thread for me as well as ads on my list of unread threads, listed as "suggested' most seem to have nothing to do with brewing and I'm not sure what the arrangement is supposed to be between AHA and Tapatalk. It's a bit annoying, but easy enough to skip over. Have not played close enough of attention to notice anything inappropriate, but I'm sure there are some. Just my experience

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Stevie

« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2017, 07:10:18 am »
Also need to add: Tapatalk is definitely now add bombing me/all users. It's been a free service and they now want you to pay for it. There is an ad at the bottom of every page in each thread for me as well as ads on my list of unread threads, listed as "suggested' most seem to have nothing to do with brewing and I'm not sure what the arrangement is supposed to be between AHA and Tapatalk. It's a bit annoying, but easy enough to skip over. Have not played close enough of attention to notice anything inappropriate, but I'm sure there are some. Just my experience

Ads are gone on my iPhone.

Big Monk

« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2017, 07:21:31 am »

Ads are gone on my iPhone.

I'm using the Pro version just so I don't have to clear ads from my feed anymore. Works great and is only $2.99

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2017, 02:02:09 pm »
I've never used Tapatalk. I just use the regular web connection...even on my phone.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2017, 04:20:22 pm »
I've never used Tapatalk. I just use the regular web connection...even on my phone.

Same here, Martin.
Jon H.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2017, 05:59:41 pm »

Same here, Martin.

Me too.  I tried it once and hated it.  Delete.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Big Monk

« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2017, 06:25:52 pm »

Same here, Martin.

Me too.  I tried it once and hated it.  Delete.

Very surprised by this. Logging into the web is like torture for me. I sprung for Tapatalk pro.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2017, 07:13:49 pm »
iMO Tapatalk is the best way to post pictures but sucks for everything else.
The web version of the forum is way better.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Big Monk

« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2017, 07:19:27 pm »

I'll concede that searching or strolling through subforums is a chore in Tapatalk.

I only have new posts on my screen I'm Tapatalk so it works out well for me.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2017, 07:27:09 pm »

Yep. I've debated the merits of both. For me, I deleted tapatalk and use Photobucket for pics. A little more work for pics but everything else is smoother IMO. Each his own.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2017, 05:42:26 am »

Yep. I've debated the merits of both. For me, I deleted tapatalk and use Photobucket for pics. A little more work for pics but everything else is smoother IMO. Each his own.
I kept Tapatalk and use it almost exclusively for uploading photos from my phone. I find Photobucket cumbersome to use here and the free version is pretty slow and add filled. Does anyone know why the process for posting pictures here (without Tapatalk) is so unweildy? I assume it's a technical challenge. A lot of new users have trouble posting their pictures of normal fermentation that they think is not fermenting or infected😀
Edit: btw I like the irony of a potentially controversial topic getting derailed into an innocuous conversation about Tapatalk. Kind of opposite of the norm.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 05:45:15 am by pete b »
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2017, 06:24:59 am »
  I thought the purpose of the forum was pretty simple, a way to let home brewers communicate whether asking questions or sharing new brewing techniques. It seems to do that well in my opinion. New ideas are debated and that's a good thing.
  I don't contribute much except to ask questions. And I post my questions here because I trust the answers I get. Much of the highly technical stuff I have a general understanding of but I haven't fully delved into or applied.
However I know if I ever want to get into low oxy brewing, decoctions, or other "advanced" topics I have a place to do research and ask questions. I check the forum regularly and once in a while I learn something useful,(ie shaken starters").
   You can take what you want and leave the rest.

Dan

Dan S. from NJ

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2017, 07:37:53 am »
+1 (or +100 by now) on all of the "everyone do their best to walk the line of civility and respectful debate."  I have to admit it is not a good sign when I am scrolling through threads on this forum and I think to myself......."I am going to go back over to Homebrewtalk where there is less unnecessary bickering."

I really like the idea of a subforum for "Advanced Techniques and Brewing Science"........ I think there is a lot of great info on here.  Obviously some super experienced and dedicated brewers.  I love reading various takes on process.  Some are things I want to pursue, some I don't, some lend themselves to my current system.... some might not.

I think one thing I have noticed over 20+ years of home brewing is simply this - what we consider "basic information" vs. "advanced" has changed a lot.  To me, topics .....like water for instance.... have just become "basic" brewing practice, as have yeast starters, temp. control, etc..... that stuff was "advanced" when I started. 
So, I don't know that there is a lack of "advanced" discussion - as much as the fact that "basic information" now encompasses so much more than it used to.  The whole RDWHAHB mantra ain't what it used to be. 

I feel it is all of our duty to help beginners, even when it gets old answering the same simple question that could be googled easily.  I know for sure that people have been kind enough to answer my stupid, easily googled question along the way too.  But, as an experienced brewer, I also want to advance in my knowledge and brewing practices. 

That is why  I think the "Advanced Techniques and Brewing Science" Sub forum is a great idea for those who are looking for more....  I hope those in charge or with influence consider it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 07:39:29 am by braufessor »